Ponca Ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ponca Ways

Speaking of comfort, my friend of days gone by at Chilocco lost her husband last year in a tragic way.
    He was badly burned and it was her duty to care for
    him until he passed.

As is our Ponca way, Jody Rush's memorial was this last Sunday, Novembr 11, 2010. The gathering was held at the Tonkawa gymnasium which was newly decorated with a shining clean kitchen adjoining the larger area. There was plenty room for the large number of people who attended.

The purpose, of course, is to comfort the persons of the family who are left, and the extra benefits are the chance to see friends we haven't had a chance to visit for a while.

A family member, of the Camp family, grandson of Jewel McDonald, gave the eulogy. It was a short presentation and held most healing words. A respected elder, Mildred Eagle asked for a blessing over the water and the food in the way of a prayer. That too was respectfully presented. Days of yore were brought back of when the late Grace Little Warrior always prayed at early dawn in the Ponca gathering along the river there at White Eagle, which brings us to the matriarical part of our culture.

Our family is not related to the McDonalds but this story tells why I attended, besides the fact that my dear friend and her sister attended Chilocco together and are forever tied in memories of every happening along the way from marriage of our children to mutual grandchildren, etc.:

http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...l/adoption.htm

We didn't stay to eat after the prayer. Rhonda Lou was a bit light headed and since she has been known to faint we make a quiet exit out of the side door where we purposely sat in preparation for such a thing should it happen.
Working...
X