X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Art, Composition of a Painting

One of the most difficult things is to compose a piece of artwork. If the
    composition is right all parts of the work will come together. If not there
    will forever be a lack of unity with an uneasy feel about the painting.

Elements and objects must be put together so one sees first of all the light.
    Without that nothing will be pleasing.

I stood before this painting, Christina’s World, that hangs in The Dallas Museum
    of Art and was so humbled by its beauty. To tell the truth I had never seen it
    and knew nothing about the work. These photographs do nothing to show the
    lighting on the painting. The light was so real I had to hold my hand up to see if
    there was a light coming from some source above. The subject is a disabled girl
    in a scene. The balance, her position, the feeling of loneliness all are conveyed
    by the artist, Andrew Wyeth.

http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T4...iw=933&bih=477

Balance is either symmetrical or asymmetrical. This can be explained by a child’s
    See-Saw. If each child sits equal distances apart the balance is symmetrical. If the heavier child sits closer to the center and the lighter child sits to the end of the board on his side the balance is asymmetrical.

The painting I’m working on now, the 8 foot by 4 foot piece is asymmetrical in balance.
    The buffalo (heavier objects) are to the bottom and close to the center. The light is
    coming down through the water behind them and unto the bank of the stream. I’ve had time to think about how I will bring the light from the sky down to the water. How will I work to bring the light down and yet keep perspective to show the distance
    I’m having to think through this. If the sky is too dark that space will come forward,
    but if it is too light then the glow of the light from the sky will not come down across
    the water. I’ll work it out, I’ll just need to think and take some time with it. I’m thinking color of lavenders, blues and turquoise in the sky and down into the water might work, if it is delicate with a mother color of yellow ochre carefully added to each color.

Google, “compostion of a painting,” and you will see many comments about what all
    goes into this matter of composition.
Working...
X