Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Straight Winds of Ponca City, April 8, 2011

Straight Winds of Ponca City

The straight path of wind took the sign with the menu for ordering at the Taco Bueno café. With wide eyes and nervous demeanor the clerk at the window was trying in a determined way to get our order correct. We always order the same thing so no problem there. However, we had to keep going back for 1. Napkins, 2. Sauce, a fork, and even our guacamole was missing. Because the storm went around us we didn’t understand and were only suspicious of this nervous woman’s conduct.

Our next stop took us to Sherman William’s paint store for their 40 percent off sale. There is where the young man told us where the storm hit. April 8, at night, straight winds pushed through Ponca City and left such a great amount of damage everyone in town, even those not touched, were in a state of disbelief and some looked to be traumatized.

Of course we had to drive out to the north part of town along with everyone else in Ponca City, it seemed. Lines of cars drove slowly around Industrial park and places that weren’t cordoned off.

Here is what we saw:
    http://www.poncacitynews.com/images/...ant_storm.html

Years ago when the the Ponca tribe camped along the river the Straight Path, Rain band predicted there would never be a tornado to strike Ponca City. The news was careful to call the storm “straight winds.”

Let me tell you I saw what “straight path winds” can do. A huge tree was totally ripped up with the lawn still clinging to it like a carpet thrown up and around it.

In every situation there is always a high note. A friend’s large old cedar tree she had worried over not
    being able to afford to remove was taken out. For all purposes it looked like some large hand had picked it up and gently laid it across the garage carefully so as not to disturb not one shingle. The
    roof on the house she so long was tormented by because it needed to be replaced, the storm
    and her insurance will bless her with a relief from that problem, too.

As I always say, “All’s well that ends well.”
Working...
X