Chilocco meeting on campus, April 16, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chilocco meeting on campus, April 16, 2011

This is an instrumental of “Strangers in Paradise,” the theme of our prom in 1955 at Chilocco

Saturday, April 16, 2011 our chapter will meet at Chilocco. Garland Kent, chapter alumni president, will be at the gate at 10 a.m. to unlock it for us to enter. Bring a pot luck dish. A historical group will meet there, too.

I’ve never seen the restored Student Union building and do want to see it, although, Garland
    reports that there has been vandalism with the taking of expensive equipment from inside the
    building. Several large screen, flat televisions were taken, I understand.

Garland told me that the administration building had some damage to the roof and some water
    damage to the inside of that structure.

My time is so crunched, as usual, especially in the summer and early spring. My International Club
    ladies will be at my house, too, soon, so I have no business taking off to go to Chilocco.
    For my part I really do not like to get into any organization. Usually, they are strongly controlled by
    men, as they should be, but in my impatience and at my age it is hard for me not to want to push
    ahead, which only leaves me frustrated and upset.

I suppose this is why I enjoy the International Club
    so much. We are women in a sea and on an island in a place where our greatest endeavors are to take care of our families. There is no politics, religion, (how could there be when some are Buddhists, Catholic, Protestants, etc.) As women we simply have a bond and a wish to enjoy a meal together, visit, laugh a bit, even share one or other’s pain, and be on our way.

Sunday is our Memorial for Christ’s death, and so many who don’t come during the year will be there.
    We never miss that, or never have for over fifty years. Best not I brag, sure wouldn’t want to miss this
    year when all the world seems to be in readiness for some happening.

We are doing a lot of work to make the yard very nice because a gardening group out of Tulsa, Oklahoma may be coming to enjoy my gardens this year. The overgrown trumpet vine is out, thanks
    to my strong nephew. Cedar trees are trimmed up and brush taken out from under them. I have Fescue seed to broadcast there. On the berm my nephew planted Elephant ears. We haven’t had much rain so I am having to water.

My grandson’s garden is coming along, as well. The television showed how to plant corn with pole
    beans around the stalks for them to climb upon. We’ve done that. His carrots are up already. He is
    only five and so enthusiastic about growing things, as is my nephew, who is forty. This is the lovely part of sticking to one’s knitting to teach them while they are young. Little boys become strong men and easily can say, “take out trumpet vines that have overgrown.”

My wish to work with Chilocco was so that my brother, Mike, could have a break there, now and again. He worked so hard on a job at Stillwater, I knew his health wouldn’t hold up. I saw Chilocco as a way for him to slow down and do an enjoyable work, as well. Mike working at Chilocco:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chiocco55.htm

He’s gone now and so is my impetus to do anymore on that old campus. I do enjoy the time spent with
    old friends though, so hopefully I can get it together to go up there Saturday, or not.
Working...
X