Glengarry in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glengarry in Canada

I have been working my way through the book about Glengarry in Canada and finding it a most interesting book.

Like the book does give a very detailed account of the war between the USA and Canada. I also found a break down of the Highland Clans in Glengarry where some 10,000 clansman are calculated to have settled in that area and I noted some 140 McIntyre's were included in that number.

This kind of reminds me of my earlier impression that most of the Highlanders actually emigrated to Canada rather than the USA. I also noted a mention that there were comparatively few Highland Regiments that fought in the USA on the British side. That mention went on to speculate what might have happened if more had gone over as they had a fearsome reputation which was well deserved.

This book has also reminded me how historians can differ in their view of history which depends on which side they were on.

I don't always read books in detail when I'm ocr'ing them onto the site but in this case the book is so faint that I am having to read every word to ensure any reasonable accuracy. I'm thus learning a whole lot on this era of USA and Canadian history. This also reinforces the fighting record of the Highlanders and Scots where they often defeated much larger forces.

I also wonder how many Americans and Canadians know much, if anything, about this war between the two countries.

The book covers...

RELATING PRINCIPALLY TO THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR OF 1775-83, THE WAR OF 1812-14 AND THE REBELLION OF 1837-8, AND THE SERVICES OF THE KING'S ROYAL REGIMENT OF NEW YORK, THE 84 OR ROYAL HIGHLAND EMIGRANT REGIMENT, THE ROYAL CANADIAN VOLUNTEER REGIMENT OF FOOT, THE GLENGARRY FENCIBLE OR BRITISH HIGHLAND REGIMENT, THE GLENGARRY LIGHT INFANTRY REGIMENT, AND THE GLENGARRY MILITIA.

Alastair
Working...
X