James Legge, Missionary and Scholar
    Articles by Stephanie Cruz
    Songs by John Henderson
    Sir Hugh Allan
    Robert Dunsmuir
    Robert Burns Lives!

Electric Scotland News
    ----------------------
    As I am now working on the new Canadian site I just wondered if you wanted to hear about that in this newsletter because obviously a fair chunk of it will be nothing to do with Scotland.

I will of course still be working on the Electric Scotland site but obviously as there is only one of me there won't be as much going up as I'll have split myself in two as it were. Anyway.. if you can let me know your thoughts on this I'll take those into account.

Of coursw while doing work on the Scots in Canada I can say Scots are involved in everything in Canada so you can't tell the story of Canada without talking about Scots.

-----

Next week will be heading to the Fergus Highland Games on the Saturday. I usually spend a bit of time at the clan tents so if you are around and spot me do say hello. Their web site is at http://www.fergusscottishfestival.com/

-----

You might have heard me talk about my friends Harold and Nola in Toronto who kindly put me up for some 6 months when I first came to Canada. Well I'm helping their grand-daughter Savannach to build a web site for her realtor business. Haven't done an external web site for someone else in years so should be fun. It's also amazing how much you can learn from things like this as to do a decent job you need to learn about their business. And hey if you are ever looking to purchase a house or condo in Toronto then here's her business card! Her site should be up in the next few weeks so you can see how well or badly I did! <grin>

Click image for larger version

Name:	savannahbc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	23822

ABOUT THE STORIES
    -----------------
    Some of the stories in here are just parts of a larger story so do check out the site for the full versions. You can always find the link in our "What's New" section in our site menu and at http://www.electricscotland.com/rss/whatsnew.php

Electric Scotland Community
    ---------------------------
    Stan has sent up more pictures of Edinburgh and it's surrounds so do check out the Gallery for them. He also took a picture of the plaque for the Barons of Nova Scotia which you can see at http://www.electricscotland.org/albu...tachmentid=927

Some large messages coming in from Caledonian about the Fife Adventurers in the Western Isles... a bit of a history lesson and he's now on Part III so look out for that.

Elda posted up some hillarious conversations recorded by court reporters and Gordon put up a couple of fun videos on Aussie humour.

With the sheer variety of messages going up it's almost like having your own variety channel.

Our community can be viewed at http://www.electricscotland.org but of course if you are reading this you're already in it :-)

THE FLAG IN THE WIND
    --------------------
    This weeks issue is now available compiled by Jamie Hepburn. You can get to the Flag at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Historical Tales of the Wars of Scotland
    ----------------------------------------
    And of the Border Raids, Forays and Conflicts by John Parker Lawson (1839). This is a new publication we're starting on which is in 4 volumes. We intend to post up 2 or 3 stories each week until complete.

This week we've added...

Skirmish at Airsmoss
    Earls of Dunbar and March, etc.

I might add that in the last three accounts we've added there have been a couple of missing pages and so far we havne't found another copy to get them allhough we're still looking. This now completes Volume 3 with the final volume 4 to come.

You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/wars/

Poems of George Alexander Rodger
    --------------------------------
    Added some more poems...

Croftmuir Displenish
    Strathardle Ploughing Association
    A Soliloquy

which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/rodger.htm

Memoirs of the Jacobites
    ------------------------
    Of 1715 and 1745 by Mrs Thomson (1845) in 3 volumes. We intend to add a chapter a week until complete.

I've now added "Lord George Murray" which starts the third and final volume.

The account starts...

This celebrated adherent of the Chevalier was born in the year 1705. He was the fifth son of John Duke of Atholl, and the younger brother of that Marquis of Tullibardine. whose biography has been already given.

The family of Atholl had attained a degree of power and influence in Scotland, which almost raised them out of the character of subjects. It was by consummate prudence, not unattended with a certain portion of time-serving, that, until the period 1715, the high position which these great nobles held had been in seasons of political difficulty preserved. Their political principles were those of indefeasible right ami hereditary monarchy. John, first Marquis of Atholl, the father of Lord George Murray, married Amelia Stanley, daughter of Charlotte De la Tremouille, Countess of Derby, whose princely extraction, to borrow a phrase of high value n genealogical histories, was the least of her merits. This celebrated woman was remarkable for the virtue and piety of her ordinary life ; and, when the season of trial and adversity called it forth, she displayed the heroism which becomes the hour of adversity. Her well-known defence of Latham House in 1644 from the assaults of the Parliamentarian forces, and her protracted maintenance of the Isle of Man, the last place in the English dominions that submitted to the Parliament, were followed by a long and patient endurance of penury and imprisonment.

The Marquis of Atholl was consistent in that adherence to the Stuarts which the family of his wife had professed. He advocated the succession of James the Second, and was rewarded with the royal confidence. Indeed, such was the partiality of the King towards him, that had the Marquis "in this sale of favour," as an old writer expresses it, "not been firm and inflexible in the point of his religion, which he could not sacrifice to the pleasure of any mortal, he might have been the first minister for Scotland." After the Revolution, the Marquis retired into the country, and relinquished all public business; thus signifying his opinion of that event.

He bequeathed to his son, John second Marquis of Atholl. and the father of Lord George Murray, as great a share of prosperity and as many sources of self-exultation as ordinarily fall to the lot of one man. To the blood of the Murrays, the marriage with Lady Amelia Stanley had added a connection in kindred with the Houses of Bourbon and Austria, with the Kings of Spain and Duke of Savoy, the Prince of Orange, and most of the crowned heads in Europe. Upon the extinction of the descendants of John the seventh Earl of Derby, commonly called the loyal Earl of Derby, and of his wife Charlotte De La Tremouille, "all that great and uncommon race of royal and 'Illustrious blood," as it has been entitled, centred in the descendants of the Marquis of Atholl. In 1720, the barony of Strange devolved upon the Duke of Atholl; and the principality of the Isle of Man was also bequeathed to the same House by William ninth Earl of Derby. This was the accession of a later period, but was the consequence of that great and honourable alliance of which the family of Atholl might justly boast.

You can read the rest of this long story at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter12.htm

You can read the other chapters as we get them up at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/jacobites

R. B. Cunninghame Graham, Fighter for Justice
    ---------------------------------------------
    An Appreciation of his Social and Religious Outlook by Ian M. Fraser (2002).

Added another two chapters to this account...

An Estimation
    Religious Outlook

and we also replaced Social Conviction Part 3 as we added a wee bit more to that chapter.

You can get to this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/graham/

Our Australian Cousins
    ----------------------
    By James Inglis (1880)

We've added chapters 15 to 21 this week...

Here is a bit from Chapter XVIII...

My next Antipodean experience was to be in a line hitherto unattempted by me, but for which a good friend imagined I had some aptitude. This was neither more nor less than to take over the management of what was then the second daily morning newspaper in the colony of New South "Wales. The proposal at first staggered me. Here was a change with a vengeance, from tiger-slaying, jungle-clearing, coolie-counting, and pig-sticking in India.

The state of my health, however, precluded all idea of returning to India in my old capacity, and I could not for ever subsist on the liberality of my brother's administration of what he was good enough to call "my credit account." I was fast getting to the end of my slender means, and the future seemed doubtful and very gloomy at times. My letters to the Pioneer could not always last, and beyond the payment I got for these, I was earning nothing else. I did write a few articles for the Sydney Mail and Echo, and was glad to get the anything but princely remuneration which these earned when they were accepted, which was not always the case. In fact the colonies do not present a very tempting field to the professional literary man, and up till then my pen had been rather that of an amateur. I had, however, no objection to try and earn my spurs honourably. Rather than stick fast, I was willing to work at anything honest, for even thirty shillings a week; for I had no desire to be a burden to my friends, and I had long ago found the truth of the old adage that "God helps those who help themselves."

I only give this little morsel of personal experience to illustrate what I have often seen since in colonial life, namely, that there is a groove for every willing man in the colonies, if only he will try to suit himself to it. No man need remain idle in Australia. There is work for all, and, although the work that first presents itself may not be the most congenial, yet if the intending colonist be not a fool, or worse—a lazy good-for-naught, he will wisely accept what comes, buckle to with a will, try his best to do what falls to his lot, and never fear but he will soon find friends and opportunities, and if he is wise willing and steady, he may take advantage of both, and probably very soon find the groove that fits him best.

At all events such has been my experience. My friend fancied I was fit to do the work that he wanted to have done. It was not my place to say him nay. I had plenty of will and no little self-confidence; and accordingly I received my instructions, and set out for Newcastle, the great emporium of the Australian coal trade, to take temporary management of the Newcastle Morning Herald. The proprietor had been at the point of death from rheumatic fever. Things were drifting into confusion. The concern wanted management for the time, and I was sent to do my best to assist the scarcely convalescent printer, collect accounts, arrange financial matters, and generally to do my best in the interests of my employers. My salary was to be at the rate of 200Z. a year. It was rather a difference from 600 rupees a month, with manager's allowances, and twenty-five per cent, commission on profits, but I was content to begin at that.

You can read more of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter18.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/auscousins/

Memoirs of Robert Dollar
    ------------------------
    By the Robert Dollar Company in 2 volumes (1917)

Now added chapters 8 to 15 to the second volume.

In Chapter 10 we learn...

In order that the purpose of my proposed trip around the world may he better understood, I will relate briefly my reasons for making it.

Many matters in connection with our business had been developing in the Far East that could only be properly settled at close range, so that I decided to visit all of our offices; and accompanied by Mrs. Dollar, left San Francisco on April 2, 1921, for Seattle.

I had planned to sail on one of the Dollar Company-steamers from Vancouver to Japan; but received so many requests from various quarters to accompany the Commercial Commission from the Pacific Northwest on the Shipping Board steamer Wenatchce, that I finally decided to go with the Commission as far as Shanghai, and from there continue my journey on the Robert Dollar II.

On returning to the United States the Commission made its formal report, a part of which covered that portion of the trip on which I accompanied them and from which the following is an extract:

"Captain Robert Dollar, as a member of the visiting delegation and yet as a leader and pioneer in the development of American business at Shanghai and throughout China, spoke as one at home and at the same time a guest. He reviewed what has been done in a few years, and urged the earnest effort of all to develop the full possibilities of trade between China and America, based on fair dealing and mutual respect.

"Captain Dollar extended an invitation to all those at the luncheon who cared to do so, to join the Pacific Northwest delegation on a trip on one of the Dollar Company boats along the entire Shanghai waterfront, leaving the customs jetty at 2:30. Among those who accompanied the party on this river trip were Captain Dollar and his son, J. Harold Dollar, in charge of the usiness in the Orient; Julean Arnold, American commercial attache; Captain W. T. Eisler, representative of the United States Shipping Board; Dr. Frederic Lee, American economist consul; W. A. Chapman, secretary of the American Chamber of Commerce; Paul P. Whitman, and others.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...2chapter10.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/rdollar/

James Legge, Missionary and Scholar
    -----------------------------------
    By his daughter, Helen Edith Legge (1905)

we are now up to chapter 11 of this book.

In chapter 7 we learn...

THE following extracts are from letters and notes written by Dr Legge in Hong Kong in 1849 and onwards:—

'I am groping amid mists of Chinese physics and metaphysics, a shape like the ghost of Aristotle or Plato rising up ever and anon before me. I go to grasp it—and a Chinese folio interposes its knotty pages.'

'I wrote to the Bible Society about printing the Scriptures in Chinese with metal types. Our Society undertook the making of two founts of Chinese types. The work has been long, tedious and expensive, but now when it is drawing to a close it gives us astonishing advantages. We can beat the Chinese in their own market. In no country are books so cheap as in China, but we can make them cheaper than they ever have been. The New Testament can be given to them for threepence or even less, printed more beautifully than the Imperial editions of their own Classics. So small a sum, of course, only covers the expenses of paper and printing and affords the Society no renumeration for its outlay in the preparation of the founts, but that it does not regret' In 1859, at a meeting in England Dr Legge said:— 'In the beginning of last year, the Russian plenipotentiary in China called at our Mission House and made an arrangement that we should supply him with the matrices, struck from our punches, of the Chinese characters. It appeared that the Russian Government wanted to compile a Chinese and Russian dictionary at St Petersburg, and in order to make a commencement of the work they were obliged to come to our Mission House at Hong Kong.

'Then again, since my return to this country I have had more than one interview with a distinguished gentleman of Paris, M. Mohl, who is, I believe, the superintendent of the printing department of the Institute of France, and who wants our assistance in forming for the Institute a complete fount of type embracing every character in the Chinese language.'

*December 27, 1850.

*Tsun-sheen and I are co-pastors of the Chinese Church. He takes most of the Chinese preaching, but I preach once a week. My labours in the Seminary and School and English preaching occupy much of my time—Chinese study and reading still more, and the revision of the new version of the Old Testament a great deal. Then I have correspondence with other missions and many other things, so that my heart does sometimes fail me.'

During his revision of the version of the Old Testament, one of the family relates that Dr Legge wrote out three times the whole of the Old Testament in Chinese.

Trouble and illness among the missionaries and their families necessitated the departure of some of them for England. Extra work was thus thrown upon Dr Legge. In reference to this he received a letter from the London Missionary Society:—

*December 18, 1850.

'We deplore deeply those events which are felt to press with accumulated weight, when we bear in mind the serious obstacles that must prevent us for a considerable time from supplying the vacancies thus unexpectedly and abruptly created. We have reason to fear that with so many occupations on your hands your energies must be considerably overtasked.'

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter07.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/legge/index.htm

Articles by Stephanie Cruz
    --------------------------
    Stephanie kindly set us in a couple of interesting wee stories, Cape Fear Settlement and Scottish Influence on The American Revolution which can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...s/cruzndxl.htm

Songs by John Henderson
    -----------------------
    Got in two new songs from John Henderson, "Culloden" and "Glasgow's Penny Trams" which can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/doggerls.htm

Sir Hugh Allan
    --------------
    Shipping magnate, railway promoter, financier, and capitalist. A short bio which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...allan_hugh.htm

Robert Dunsmuir
    ---------------
    Scottish coal-miner, entrepreneur and politician who made his mark in Canada which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...uir_robert.htm

Robert Burns Lives!
    ------------------
    By Frank Shaw

A few weeks ago, thanks to my friend Jim Henderson, Honorary Secretary of The Burns Club of London, I received a copy of the history of the club’s first one hundred years. Part I of that extraordinary history, written so expertly by Clark McGinn, was placed on this web site last week, and in it we were introduced to Colin Rae Brown and learned of his significant work with London club and in the Scottish community. It is a joy to bring you Part II this week. My hat is off to these tremendous Burnsians Clark and Jim for sharing their club history with our readers. The events written in this part of the club’s history, published in 1968, cover topics our fathers and grandfathers would have been familiar with. This is a great opportunity to learn of the staggering events faced by the club during its early story, events like World Wars I and II. Keep in mind that the American Civil War had concluded just three years before the founding of the London club. When forwarding the narration by email, Jim commented, “I think you will find it interesting.” I sure did, and so will you! (FRS: 8.3.11)

You can read The Burns Club of London 1868 – 1968 PART II at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...s_lives125.htm

Other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/familytree/frank/burns

And to finish...

Wise Will

Will Rogers, who died in a 1935 plane crash with his best friend, Wylie Post, was probably the greatest political sage the U.S. ever has known.

1. Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco.
    2. Never kick a cow chip on a hot day.
    3. There are two theories to arguing with a woman . . . Neither works.
    4. Never miss a good chance to shut up.
    5. Always drink upstream from the herd.
    6. If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
    7. The quickest way to double your money is to fold it and put it back into your pocket.
    8. There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
    9. Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
    10. If you're riding' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there.
    11. Lettin' the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier'n puttin' it back.
    12. After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.

And that's it for now and hope you all have a good weekend.

Alastair
    http://www.electricscotland.com
Working...
X