What's new on ElectricCanadian.com
    The Flag in the Wind
    Historical Tales of the Wars of Scotland
    R. B. Cunninghame Graham, Fighter for Justice
    Through the Long Day
    An Historical Account of the Ancient Culdees of Iona
    Nether Lochaber
    Borrowstounness and District
    The Social and Industrial history of Scotland, from the Union to the present time
    Annals of Auchterarder and Memorials of Srathearn
    The Leith Flag

Electric Scotland News
    ----------------------
    Got my new doors hung this week. It was a bit of a battle to find the right stain. We thought early American was the nearest match but found it didn't have the red tone of the other wood. So we got red mahogancy and did another coat and that was an almost perfect match so am quite chuffed at getting it so near the other wood colour.

As I'm writing this the water heater folk have arrived to put in my new tank and take out the old one.

-----

Any of you that subscribe to our newsletter forum will have noted some strange messages coming through. As you may remember this is the only forum where I've allowed guests to post a message and of course these spammers do try to find any way they can to annoy anyone they can. And so this forum has now been put back to members only for posting messages and so this should eliminate this annoyance.

I might add that it is really very easy to delete spammers as all I need to do is highlight the message, click on the moderation link and select delete spam. Then with one more mouse click I can not only delete all their messages but also ban them from the system.

-----

And I did get that account of an Inuit searching for his Scottish roots up on the site for which see more below.

ABOUT THE STORIES
    -----------------
    Some of the stories in here are just parts of a larger story so do check out the site for the full versions. You can always find the link in our "What's New" section in our site menu and at http://www.electricscotland.com/whatsnew.htm and also http://www.electriccanadian.com/whatsnew.htm

ElectricCanadian.com
    --------------------
    http://www.electriccanadian.com

Made more progress with the Canadian site by adding...

Part Qallunaaq
    http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...edee/index.htm
    From Hudson Bay to the Firth of Tay Searching for My Scottish Grandfather © by Zebedee Nungak.

I really enjoyed this story of Zebedee searching for his Scottish grandfather. It is quite emotional in places and he does an excellent job of telling his story. The story is in some 30 short chapters with a picture page to end the account. Should you enjoy the story you might add a message to our forum at http://www.electricscotland.org/show...Part-Qallunaaq as I'm sure Zebedee would enjoy hearing from you. I noted while looking at the stats for the site today that we've had 50 views of the story to date.

I might add that the most visited page is http://www.electriccanadian.com/make...nzie/index.htm which is the story of one of the Makers of Canada, William Lyon MacKenzie.

Romantic Canada By Victoria Hayward
    http://www.electriccanadian.com/life...ntic/index.htm
    Illustrated with photographs by Edith S. Watson (1922)

Now completed this book which gives a fascinating insight into life in Canada way back. The stories do preserve an account of how life was lived back in the 1800's. Also the pictures, while black and white, do also tell their own story.

History of Toronto and County of York in Ontario (work in progress)
    http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...york/index.htm
    Containing an outline of the history of the Dominion of Canada, a history of the city of Toronto and the County of York, with the townships, villages, churches, schools, general and local statistics, biographical sketches, etc.

As Toronto is similar to Glasgow in that it is the industrial and commercial capital of Canada I thought this would be a great book to add to the site. I'm working on Part I at the moment which is an outline of the history of Canada. This is a 2 volume publication so lots more to come and you can read along with me as I get it up.

I am trying to make available general histories of all the Provinces of Canada so I will at some point bring you a history of Ontario and Quebec. I will also be bringing you more histories of parts of Canada as I come across them. In fact I got an email in telling me of another settlement where some MacGregors settled so will put this up at some point.

I note today that the site has now gone over 500 unique visitors a month which is encouraging for a brand new web site. Mind you as Electric Scotland gets over 160,000 unique visitors a month we still have a way to go to make the site popular. So please do tell your friends and family about Electric Canadian and hopefully we'll build this to be a great resource.

Should any of you have anything to contribute to this site I'd love to hear from you. And if you know of a friend or colleague or family member that might be able to add some information please do encourage them to get in touch. We're also looking for a good collection of pictures of various parts of Canada so we can show folk what Canada looks like.

Electric Scotland Community
    ---------------------------
    http://www.electricsotland.org

Have been posting up some messages from the Scottish Government which are interesting. It seems we've reversed the population decline which was worrying. Also I noted that the Fight for the Right to Wear the Pingat Jasa Malaysia medal has been won so well done them.

THE FLAG IN THE WIND
    --------------------
    This weeks Flag was compiled by Jamie Hepburn. In this issue he's talking the SNP's annual conference and the start of the fight for a YES vote for an independent Scotland in the referendum.

You can get to the Flag at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Historical Tales of the Wars of Scotland
    ----------------------------------------
    And of the Border Raids, Forays and Conflicts by John Parker Lawson (1839). This is a new publication we're starting on which is in 4 volumes. We intend to post up 2 or 3 stories each week until complete.

Added this week...

Lords Airlie and Argyle
    Troops under King of Denmark
    Raising of Charles' Standard

You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/wars/

R. B. Cunninghame Graham, Fighter for Justice
    ---------------------------------------------
    An Appreciation of his Social and Religious Outlook by Ian M. Fraser (2002).

Added two chapters to this account...

Prophetic Criticism of Contremporaneity - Part 3
    Brief Evaluation of Religious Outlook

You can get to this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/graham/

Through the Long Day
    --------------------
    Or Memorials of a Literary Life during half a century by Charles MacKay LL.D. (1887)

This week have added...

Chapter I - A once noted clairvoyant

The final chapter of volume 1 was damaged and thus we were unable to bring you that but we'll keep our eyes open to see if we can get another copy of the book and will bring it to you if we find one.

This means we're now onto volume 2 with the first chapter now available.

You can get to all this at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/mackay/

An Historical Account of the Ancient Culdees of Iona
    ----------------------------------------------------
    And of their settlements in Scotland, England and Ireland by John Jamieson D.D. (1811)

Added another chapter...

Chapter XIII
    Suppression of the Culdees at St Andrews.—Preparatory Measures adopted with this View.—Their Controversy with the. Canons Regular as to St Marys Church.—Remarks on Goodaws Account of this.—State of the Culdees at lona.— Their Subjection to the Authority of Rome, and Expulsion of those who were refractory.—Of the Translation of the Reliques of Adomnan, and of Columba.

These can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/bible/culdees/index.htm

Nether Lochaber
    ---------------
    The Natural History, Legends and Folk-Lore of the West Highlands by Rev. Alexander Stewart FSA Scot, (1883)

We're now up to chapter 36.

I might note here that the paragraphs in this book are huge so I've taken the liberty of breaking them up a bit to make them easier to read. I also note the sentances are also huge so obviously a style of writing that was in vogue at the time.

Here is how Chapter 32 starts...

OF no place in existence, perhaps, is the old adage, in its most literal sense, truer than of Lochaber, that "it never rains but it pours " [June 1872], When we last wrote rain was much needed; no mid-March could be dustier or colder than was our mid-May; rain, rain was the cry on all hands; the birds, as they alighted on the branches or flew overhead, cheeped it querulously; the ducks quacked it energetically; the hens cackled and gaped for it; while the cattle afield lowed for it in a manner the meaning of which there was no mistaking; and at last the change of weather, so universally wished for, came—came first of all in the shape of hail, the dira grando of Horace, the downright pea-size genuine article, which left the hills around as white as if, in questionable taste, they had whitewashed themselves for the season. Hail! fellow, well met, was the natural and appropriate greeting.

Then came sleet, a milder form of the same visitation, not very pleasant, perhaps, but we were grateful; then with the wind from the west, soft and pleasant as the breath of a child, came warm, genial summer rain; the tiniest blade of grass felt the benign influence, and, in the beautiful language of oriental imagery, "the mountains and the hills broke forth before us into singing, and the trees and fields clapped their hands." It is now mild and beautiful exceedingly, with just enough of rain from time to time to keep everything fresh and green, and at full stretch of growth, so that crops of all kinds are everywhere making the most satisfactory progress ; and although the unseasonable hail and intense cold of ten days ago was very trying to the young potato plants in exposed situations, we are glad to say that no serious damage has resulted, the change from cold to milder weather having been very gradual.

The damage in such cases always depends on the suddenness, or the contrary, of the transition from a low to a high temperature; a night of frost, followed by a hot sun next day, being most dangerous to vegetable life, while frost, followed by rain and cloud, and so on gradually to heat and sunshine again, rarely does any more harm than merely to give a slight check to what might otherwise prove an unhealthy rapidity of growth. In the same way it is found that in the case of animals generally, and in man particularly, it is not the actual and immediate amount of cold undergone at any time that kills or maims, but the too sudden transition from a very low temperature to a comparatively high one. It is probably well enough known to the reader that very many of our flowers and plants are hygrometric, some of them very sensitively so.

By hygrometric we mean that they spread out or expand their parts when the sun is bright and the weather is dry, while they contract or close them on the approach of moisture and cloud. We would at present draw attention to the fact that the potato plant, in its earlier stages of growth, is very sensitive in this respect, more so in some years than in others perhaps, according as the plants have come up, strong and vigorous and healthy, or the reverse; for we think our observations during many years warrant us in saying that the more vigorous and healthier the plant, the more sensitive will it be found to weather changes—its very sensitiveness in this respect, observe, helping forward its growth and preserving its vitality, by enabling it to avail itself of every favourable influence, just as it enables it to protect itself against such influences as are unfavourable or adverse.

"We were particularly struck with this hygrometric sensitiveness in the potato plant a day or two ago. We have an early planted field, more forward, perhaps, than anything else of the kind in the West Highlands, over which we took a friend who happened to call upon us. It was about mid-day, with a bright, hot sun overhead, and our friend agreed with us that he had never seen potatoes that had come up more regularly, or that looked more healthy and vigorous at the same stage of growth, the fully expanded plants already showing leaves broad and beautiful as those of a hazel tree in June. In an hour or two afterwards we had occasion to pass the same field, and the change in the appearance of the plants was extraordinary. They seemed to have actually grown a couple of inches since mid-day, and our friend exclaimed, "Well, your potatoes are wonderful! look at them now." And we did look, not so much, however, at the potato field as our friend did; we looked upwards and saw that clouds were rapidly forming in the west, one black, finger-like stripe of which had already nearly mounted to the zenith, and looking at that and at our potato field, we assured our friend that a heavy fall of rain, with possibly a gale of wind, was at hand. Our companion was astonished; the sun was yet shining brightly, and the greater part of the heavens was clear and cloudless; but within little more than an hour afterwards the rain fell in torrents, and a smart gale from the south-west was blowing. Our potatoes, however, had foreseen it all; were sensible of its approach, while our friend and ourselves thought ourselves in the midst of fine weather that might, perhaps, last unbroken for days; and what struck our companion as a sudden and mysterious addition to the height of the plants was merely the effect of their having gathered themselves together—contracted all their parts into the least possible compass—thus assuming an upright pyramidal form, as best enabling them to withstand the assaults of the approaching storm.

Plants of less health and vigour would, according to our theory, have shown the same sensitiveness in the circumstances, but in a manner not so immediate, and to a degree less marked and striking. Our companion of that day, "who got a thorough drouking, as we say in Scotland, on his way home that afternoon, writes us with some humour that " as he has always had a great regard for potatoes on the table, both mashed and 'balled,' in their 'jackets,' so in future will he, in acknowledgment of their infallibility in the matter of weather changes, view them with respect even in the field." It should be stated, by the way, that this hygrometrical property in the potato plant rapidly diminishes in sensitiveness as the haulm increases in height and strength, as if it felt that when approaching its full growth it could afford very much to disregard such weather changes as are incident to the mid-summer season; but the reader who has the opportunity may verify all we have said upon the subject for himself.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter32.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...aber/index.htm

Borrowstounness and District
    ----------------------------
    Being Historical Sketches of Kinneil, Carriden and Bo'ness c. 1550 to 1850 by Thomas James Salmon (1913)

We've now completed this book with the following appendices which are themselves substancial articles.

Appendix I. The Parish of Carriden 200 years ago
    Appendix II. The House of Hamilton
    Appendix III. General Section of the Bo'ness Coalfield
    Appendix IV. Place-names of the District
    Appendix V. Botanical Notes
    Appendix VI. Table of Modern Information

Appendix I is most interesting and here is a bit from it to set the scene...

There are no books—whether they deal with the story of the people in pure history or seek to depict their social life in the novel—that half so vividly paint for us the life of the common people as the old Kirk Session records in Scotland. The following therefore is an endeavour to give from these a picture of life in the Parish of Carriden two hundred years ago. This period has been chosen because it takes us back to the Revolution Settlement and its many changes, when the Kirk Session obtained almost sole power in everything concerning parish life, and we shall thus see not only how that power was used, but we shall also find a fulness and freshness about the proceedings which need not be looked for afterwards. Alas! the Kirk Session records before this date have disappeared-During the Covenanting times an Episcopalian minister was, of course, intruded into the parish. At the Revolution the "curate," as he was called, was speedily "rabbled out" by the parishioners, who, like the great mass of Scottish people, had never really adopted

Episcopacy. The curate—a Mr. Park—took the records with him when "rabbled" out of the manse. The Session made strenuous efforts to recover them. But Mrs. Park at least had powerful friends —notably Major Cornwall, then Laird of Bonhard; so although the session "ordained Duncan Allan and James Waldie to deal with Bonhard to persuade Mrs. Park to cause her husband deliver the church register, &c.," no effect was produced.

You can read this page at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../appendix1.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ness/index.htm

The Social and Industrial history of Scotland, from the Union to the present time
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By James MacKinnon (1921)

We now have the following chapters up...

THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY

1. General Aspects
    2. The Progress of Agriculture
    3. The Progress of Industry and Commerce
    4. The Growth of Towns
    5. James Watt and the Steam Engine
    6. Social Conditions
    7. Education-and Culture
    8. Religious Life
    9. The Rise of-Scottish Art

Chapter 6 starts...

Social conditions underwent a gradual change in keeping with the economic advance characteristic of the second half of the century. During the first half of it manners and customs still differed little from those prevailing in the previous century. In the country houses of lords and lairds, ladies in middle age wore the carefully handled dresses which had been part of their marriage outfit. Whilst these lords and lairds had little money to dispose of, there was plenty of substantial food on their tables, in virtue of the payment of rent in poultry and other kinds of produce. The standard of comfort was still, however, rather primitive even in the houses of the country gentry. The beds usually stood in inlets in the walls, with sliding doors, and the windows of the rooms were without sashes. Food was eaten from wooden or pewter plates. Glasses were scarce, if bottles and casks were numerous, and in many households the ale or wine was drunk from the same glass, which went the round of the table. Knives and forks were not too plentiful and it was not considered boorish to pick the bones and make use of the knife to convey food to the mouth. Tea drinking was creeping in and became common in great houses towards the end of the first quarter of the century, in spite of the protests of old-fashioned people against "the vile drug." Men of rank kept a lumbering coach, imported from Holland and drawn by six horses, to convey them when on a journey over the deeply rutted roads, with two footmen standing behind armed with long poles to prise it out of the ruts, and one to go in front to give warning of any obstruction. Lairds went on horseback with their ladies behind them, and one of their labouring men on another horse to attend them. Both wore homespun made of the yarn which the members of the household spun on the rock and reel, and later the spinning wheel, and woven by the village "wabster," except on special occasions when gayer garments were donned. The plaid was an indispensable part of feminine clothing for gentle and simple, though it differed in quality according to rank. English broadcloth and foreign fashions were, however, like tea, beginning to appear from about the first quarter of the century. The younger generation was learning these fashions in the capital, or in Holland and France, whither the sons of nobles and gentry went to study law or medicine.

Despite these greatly deplored innovations, fashion changed slowly, and in Edinburgh in 1720 there was only one milliner. In the country the travelling tailor and weaver long sufficed for the simple needs of the country housewives of the upper class. Family life in these homes, under the Calvinist regime, was of the Spartan type, parents being regarded by their children not only with reverence, but with awe, the rigid intercourse between them allowing no scope for familiarity or endearment. Sunday must have been for the young a fearful and tiresome day, being devoted to religious exercises, private as well as public, from morning to night, including attendance twice at long and heavy services in the kirk. Whilst there was much intercourse and mutual hospitality among the gentry of a parish or district, it was conditioned by the political passions and prejudices of the day. Whig and Jacobite assorted little together, the Stuart loyalty of the latter being obnoxious to the former, while the Jacobite hated with a perfect hatred the Hanoverian allegiance and the Presbyterian strictness of his Whig neighbour. In those days of limited incomes and large families it was not deemed a humiliation to apprentice younger sons to shopkeepers in training for the vocation of "merchant," who was a retailer of a miscellany of articles ranging from candles and tobacco to lace, wine, and pearls. Many of these Edinburgh "merchants" were the brothers of lairds, baronets, and even lords. In the Highlands, where prejudice and pride were strong, a gentleman, whilst despising shopkeeping, might be found keeping an inn, or plying the trade of a cattle dealer and selling to English graziers the black cattle which he drove down from the hills and glens to Crieff market or tryst.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter06.htm

You can read this book as we get it up at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/union/index.htm

Annals of Auchterarder and Memorials of Srathearn
    -------------------------------------------------
    By Alexander George Reid (1899)

This week we've been adding the chapters about Accounts of the Burning of the Towns and Villages of Auchterarder, Muthill, Crieff, Blackford, Dalreoch, and Dunning, about the beginning of the Year 1716

There are fascinating accounts and the Burning of Blackford sets the scene...

ACCORDING to our best information, a party of the Clans, consisting of Sir Donald M'Donald's, Clanranald's, Lochiell's, Appin's, M'Clean's, Glengerry's, and Kepoch's men, commanded by Clanranald, brother to him who was killed att Dunbiain, to the number of five or six hundred, marched from Perth, Tuesday, the 24th of January, 1716, about nine of the clock at night, and tho' the night was exceeding stormy and the snow lying very deep on the ground, they came to Auchterarder, a country town lying almost straight west from Perth ten miles, and on the road betwixt Stirling and it, at four in the morning, Wednesday, the 25th of the said moneth. After they had lodged themselves in that place, about nine of the clock in the forenoon of the said day they detached a party of betwixt two and three hundred foot and some few horsemen towards Blackfoord, ane other countrey town, lying as aforsaid on the road betwixt Stirling and Perth, two miles to the westward of Auchterarder and about eight miles from Stirling.

This party had not marched much more than half a mile from Auchterarder, when by a violent blowing and exceeding deepness of the snow they found themselves oblidged to force a guide, tho' they had William Maitland, son to James Maitland, innkeeper at Blackfoord, alongst with them, who knew that countrey perfectly well, and as both he and his father were bigotted Jacobites and Rebells, was both instrumental! in the ruine and burning of the countrey.

You can read the rest of this account at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter08.htm

You can get to this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...rder/index.htm

The Leith Flag
    --------------
    By Alexander Wilson

Alex sent us in two articles which are most interesting...

"The Leith Flag" at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...leith_flag.htm

and

"A Potted History of the Flag of the Port of Leith" at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...eith_flag2.htm

Leith, ah Leith, that wee un-loved gem nestling on the shore north of your big neighbor - Edinburgh, whatever went wrong, another forced marriage between unequal partners, sad really, history repeating itself again, isn’t it ?. When did it all go wrong ?.

Answer, in 1920. At long last Edinburgh got her wish and subsumed Leith into it’s grasp. Leith and its proud citizens who were and are always Leithers first, and Edinburgers last, gave up the ghost and knuckled under. In all the bru-ha-ha, the one single important symbol of Leiths unique status as a newish burgh and an ancient town was lost, seemingly forever, their historic emblem, their unique flag!.

And finally...

Sausage Dogs

Jim Smith was in Primark in Glasgow when the girls behind him in the queue were talking about dogs, and asked him if he had any.

He told them he had two mini dachshunds, but that didn’t seem to register with the girls, as one asked:

“Is that like a greyhound?”

So Jim explained that they were also popularly known as 'sausage dogs'.

“What, square?” asked the bemused girl.

And that's it for now and hope you all have a good weekend.

Alastair
    http://www.electricscotland.com

Re: Newsletter 28th October 2011

You have a good weekend, too, Alastair. dwb

Comment

Working...
    X