Electric Scotland News
    What's new on ElectricCanadian.com
    The Flag in the Wind
    Historical Tales of the Wars of Scotland
    R. B. Cunninghame Graham, Fighter for Justice
    Through the Long Day
    An Historical Account of the Ancient Culdees of Iona
    Nether Lochaber
    The Social and Industrial history of Scotland, from the Union to the present time
    Annals of Auchterarder and Memorials of Srathearn
    Memoir of Sir Andrew Crombie Ramsay (New Book)
    Beth's Newfangled Family Tree
    Banffshire Maritime and Heritage Association

Electric Scotland News
    ----------------------
    I've been working on the Fallbrook project this week. That has meant figuring out where all the oral history videos and audio interviews were. I have also managed to put up one of the video interviews and one of the audio ones. You can find these two which are Update 52 and 60 at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...llingbrook.htm

The Fallbrook project is to try and preserve the last pioneer cabin in the Balanfad area of Ontario which was mostly settled by Scots. It also ties in with the oral history project of the University of Guelph where they were interviewwing the seniors about their lives in the area and memories of their ancestors. It is a bit depressing to note that of the six video interviews done 5 of these people are now deceased.

-----

I discovered two books this week that had incorrect links to the book index page so have now corrected these hopefully making them a lot easier to read chapter by chapter.

I might add that my publishing has slowed down enormously on Electric Scotland. I seem to have hit some limit so whereas it used to take just a few seconds to save a page it is now taking several minutes. I'm trying to find a resolution to this problem as it's a total pain. My other sites are not affected but they are a lot smaller.

-----

On Saturday I have Nola, Savannah and Jessica coming down for the Knights Templar investiture in Windsor. That means they will all be arriving on Friday afternoon so will need to feed them all. As it happens I've just made a pot of Scotch Broth so plenty for all. Yesterday I also did a fish pie which is enough for 4 meals but they have expressed an interest in my home made curry so looks like that is what will be served up.

As you may know Indian curry is the most popular take out in Scotland and I'd certainlu have one at least every other week. I've actually been experimenting as there are no Indian Curry take outs in Chatham so I've been making my own and thought I'd share the recipe.

First I purchase one of the Pat-Tak jars of curry sauce either Butter Chicken or Chicken Tiki Masala. Sharwood also have one and there are other brands. Usually in the International food section of your supermarket.

What I do is put a little butter and olive oil in a pot. I then dice up a green pepper and medium onion. These are then cooked in the pot for 5 minutes. I also add a cup or red lentils. While that is cooking I cut up a chicken breast into bite sized pieces. That is then added to the pot and cooked for another 5 minutes. While that is happening I cut up 1 medium potato into thick fries and put them onto cook. I also find some cauliflower and keep that aside.

Then at the end of 10 minutes I empty the jar of sauce into the pot and add the cauliflower. This then simmers away for 20 minutes. One minute before the 20 minutes is up I add the fries and one small banana cut up into pieces. And while the pot has been simmering I've deep fried 2 papadums to go with it. Note that the papadums need to be dipped into very hot oil... at max if you are using a deep fat fryer. This way they puff up to double there size. And while all that was going on I've cooked the rice. I tend to just use the express Uncle Bens rice... usually either their curry rice or basmati rice. The express rice can be cooked in 2 minutes in the microwave. So all is good to go. I usually add some mango chutney to the meal.

Including preperation time this takes around 30 minutes. I have actually found that with the vegetables I get two meals from that amount but there again I'm not a big eater so perhaps a meal for one if you do eat a large portion.

Hope you try it and if you do let me know how you liked it.

ABOUT THE STORIES
    -----------------
    Some of the stories in here are just parts of a larger story so do check out the site for the full versions. You can always find the link in our "What's New" section in our site menu and at http://www.electricscotland.com/whatsnew.htm and also http://www.electriccanadian.com/whatsnew.htm

ElectricCanadian.com
    --------------------
    http://www.electriccanadian.com

History of Toronto and County of York in Ontario (work in progress)
    http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...york/index.htm
    Containing an outline of the history of the Dominion of Canada, a history of the city of Toronto and the County of York, with the townships, villages, churches, schools, general and local statistics, biographical sketches, etc.

I've now completed Part II of this book and have started on Part III which is all about the various town in the area.

Moose Mountain
    http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...ewan/doune.htm
    A few pictures and info on this area. The pictures include on of the pioneer barns which is about the only one left standing.

THE FLAG IN THE WIND
    --------------------
    This weeks Flag was compiled by Jennifer Dunn. In this issue she's talking about the unfortunate tendency to smear others in political life. And she tells us about Glasgow council supporting same sex marriage.

You can get to the Flag at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Historical Tales of the Wars of Scotland
    ----------------------------------------
    And of the Border Raids, Forays and Conflicts by John Parker Lawson (1839). This is a new publication we're starting on which is in 4 volumes. We intend to post up 2 or 3 stories each week until complete.

Added this week...

Battle of Tara
    Conquest of Quebec
    Life and Death of Wallace

You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/wars/

R. B. Cunninghame Graham, Fighter for Justice
    ---------------------------------------------
    An Appreciation of his Social and Religious Outlook by Ian M. Fraser (2002).

Added another chapter to this account...

Appreciation and Thanksgiving

You can get to this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/graham/

Through the Long Day
    --------------------
    Or Memorials of a Literary Life during half a century by Charles MacKay LL.D. (1887)

This week have added...

Chapter II - Liverpool in 1830

You can get to all this at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/mackay/

An Historical Account of the Ancient Culdees of Iona
    ----------------------------------------------------
    And of their settlements in Scotland, England and Ireland by John Jamieson D.D. (1811)

Added another chapter...

Chapter XIV
    Of the Library at lona.—Account given of it by Pennant, from Bocce.—Causes assigned for its Destruction;—Devastations by the Danes;—by Edward I;—by the Reformers;—by Cromwell;—during the Period of Persecution.— Books,formerly belonging to it, said to be still extant.—The Culdees preserved till about the Time the Lollards appeared.—Of the Reformation in Scotland, whether by Bishops?— Of those called Superintendents.

These can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/bible/culdees/index.htm

Nether Lochaber
    ---------------
    The Natural History, Legends and Folk-Lore of the West Highlands by Rev. Alexander Stewart FSA Scot, (1883)

We're now up to chapter 43.

Here is how Chapter 41 starts...

It is true to a proverb that one may have too much even of a good thing. It was the most natural thing in the world, for instance, that our countrymen should have introduced the thistle, the national emblem, into the fertile plains and straths of Australia and New Zealand, to remind them of home, and to speak to them, even at the Antipodes, of memories and traditions that patriotism will in nowise "willingly let die." The inevitable result of such introduction, however, was not foreseen, or rather was never thought of. A correspondent in the province of Otago, in a very pleasant letter by last mail [August 1874] informs us that the "symbol dear" of Burns has so flourished and spread over large tracts of land in New Zealand as to be already an intolerable nuisance; so much so, that legislative enactments are being passed, in view, if possible, to its total extirpation. "You may think I exaggerate," says our friend, "but I positively do not, when I tell you that in the course of a fifty miles ride the other day I saw whole paddocks containing many hundred acres of splendid land quite overrun with thistles, so close, and thick, and formidable, that neither man nor horse could force a way through them. And such thistles, too!

I measured several that were quite eight feet in height, and as thick in the stem as my wrist, with spikes on them as large as horse-shoe nails, and as sharp-pointed as the sharpest needle. The proprietor of one of the paddocks thus over-grown with thistles swore at them awfully—and most unpatriotically, too, you will say, for he was a Scotchman—when I spoke to him on the subject. I assure you it is a very serious matter, for unless the obnoxious weed is somehow got rid of, many places will soon be uninhabitable, and, as you can easily understand, the evil is daily and rapidly becoming worse. The thistles are at present ripe, with large heads like cauliflowers, and when a smart breeze is blowing, where they are plentiful, the air is filled with thistle-down like a heavy snow-storm. If you, who know so many things, could only suggest some effectual way of ridding ourselves of this pest, you would be doing us a very real service." At home, too, thistles, if not more plentiful, are at least ol larger growth than usual. In a corner of our own garden,- for instance, there is still growing at the present moment a splendid fellow, nearly six feet in height, to which we pay a daily visit in admiration of its lusty growth, and the rich emerald green of its imbricated involucral leaves. We have purposely preserved it unhurt till now, as something of a curiosity, but in a day or two it must be cut down, for the seeds are fast ripening, and it were unwise, if not actually criminal, to allow them to escape on downy wings only to fall and germinate after their kind, a very nuisance, elsewhere. Most herbaceous plants will bleed to death if cut down two years running, just as they have about attained half their growth; and we can only suggest to our New Zealand friends that they should treat their thistle fields after a similar fashion.

Let them be mowed down when about half, or rather more than half-grown, with the scythe for two consecutive seasons, and Ave believe the roots will infallibly die and disappear. "We have known bracken, ragwort, and burr-dock, &c. very effectively disposed of in this way, and have some confidence that thistles, too, might be thoroughly eradicated by a similar process of vital wounding at the hastiest stage of growth. From our correspondent's description of them, we should say that the New Zealand thistles, so loudly complained of, are of the same species as that in our garden, the Carduus marianus of botanists, or Great Milk Thistle, a biennial common over all Europe, but nowhere so plentiful as in Scotland, whence it is probable that it is so frequently pointed to by poets, painters, and patriots as the Scotch Thistle, though its claims to the high honour of being the actual and real national emblem are somewhat questionable. The tradition in the south and southwest, where the true story, if ever there was a true story in the matter, is most likely to have rooted itself in its perfectest form, is to the effect that, during an invasion of the Norsemen, the Danes advancing against the Scots on a dark night, one of their barefooted scouts, when prowling about the Scottish encampment, chanced to tread on a thistle, the sharp prickles of which piercing his foot, caused him to utter a loud imprecation, which reaching the ears of the Scots, hitherto lying in fancied security, warned them that the enemy was at hand, and enabled them, instantly standing to their arms, to take their foes at such disadvantage that the fierce Norsemen were totally routed and driven to their ships with immense slaughter. The thistle that thus opportunely prevented the Scots being taken unawares is still pointed out, not, however, as being any of the large, formidable, long-stemmed varieties, but the stemless thistle that spreads out its leaves and spikes quite close to the ground, common enough in old pastures and waste grass lands.

The stemless thistle is botanically known as the Cnicus acaulis, and lowly and unpretending as it may seem at first sight, there is, we make bold to assert, no species of thistle so well entitled to bear and boast the grand old legend, Nemo me impune lacessit. Its spines are as fine, and quite as tough and piercing withal, as the finest cambric needle ; impossible, too, of extraction, once it has fairly penetrated the flesh, except by a surgical operation; and we have a shrewd suspicion that it is to some extent poisonous, for, from the moment one pierces the flesh till its expulsion hy suppuration of the part, the pain is keen and excruciating beyond conception. Barefooted Dane, Saxon, or Celt, unexpectedly treading on a nearly ripe and full-formed Cnicus, might well be excused an oath, however lusty and loud, in acknowledgment and hearty execration of such an impediment. "We can say something of a Cnicus spike wound from personal experience. Several years ago, when we were younger and lighter than we are to-day, we were vaulting over a wall that divided an infield of corn from an outfield of old pasture. Safely over, but alighting awkwardly, we slipped forward and fell, instinctively stretching out our hands to secure ourselves as we came almost headlong to the ground. The fall was nothing, but one of our hands had, as ill-luck would have it, alighted, with all our weight upon it, in the very bosom of a full-armed, irate Cnicus.

The palm of the hand somehow escaped, but one of the prickles entered our wrist, and the pain was at once intense— stinging, sharp, and burning, as if the spike was the point of a red-hot needle from the fire. It could not be extracted, for it could not be seen; and there was nothing for it but patience and such local applications as might best aid the inevitable suppuration by which alone, after fourteen days' acute pain, relief was finally obtained. Upon the whole, then, and keeping the barefooted Danish scout tradition in view, we are disposed to consider the stemless Cnicus as the true national emblem. If there be any doubt, the honour, at all events, must be left between itself and the burly, big-stemmed Murianus. Of a certainty, in any case, the cotton thistle (Onopordon acantliium), though frequently spoken of by horticulturists and amateur gardeners as the Scotch thistle, cannot be the species indicated, for this last is not properly a Scotch plant at all, it being rarely, if ever, found growing wild anywhere north of the Tweed, though comparatively common in England. The first pu blic and properly authenticated mention of the thistle as the national badge is, we believe, in an inventory of the jewels and wardrobe effects of James III., about the year 1467. Whether there was an "ancient" Order of the Thistle seems doubtful; what is commonly called the revival of the order dates from the reign of James the Seventh of Scotland, Second of England, in 1687.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter41.htm

The other chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...aber/index.htm

The Social and Industrial history of Scotland, from the Union to the present time
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By James MacKinnon (1921)

We now have the following chapters up...

THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY

10. Poor Relief and Crime
    Sources

PART II

THE NINETEENTH AND EARLY TWENTIETH CENTURIES

1. General Features
    2. The Progress of Agriculture
    3. The Mining, Iron and Steel Industries
    4. Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering
    5. The Textile Industries
    6. Secondary Industries

Here is how the author sets the scene for his explorations into the nineteenth century...

The nineteenth century was a period of marked social and industrial progress in Scotland. The promise of the second half of the previous century was realised on a scale undreamt' of at the dawn of its successor. In every sphere there is observable a stirring of new life as the innate energy of a sturdy race at last found adequate scope for its practical expression. Under the influence of the French Revolution the stagnation of Scottish political life was broken and the movement for political emancipation started on its progressive course, whose stages are marked by a series of political reforms which ultimately gave the franchise to the working class as well as the middle class, and finally secured at least the partial political emancipation of women. No less striking is the spirit of industrial and commercial enterprise which was the concomitant of the industrial revolution and which, though not without its drawbacks for the working class, not only vastly developed the national wealth, but greatly contributed to the material and social improvement of the people. In literature the first quarter of the new century gave birth to those masterpieces in fiction which portray with such dramatic power and such insight and sympathy the national life and history and created a world-wide interest in Scotland and its people. In education and science, in art and religion the new century had also a great mission to fulfil and record of its achievements in these spheres is atso one of great things. It witnessed, in fact, the rise of a new Scotland in which the old would have no little difficulty in recognising itself.

You can read this book as we get it up at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/union/index.htm

Annals of Auchterarder and Memorials of Srathearn
    -------------------------------------------------
    By Alexander George Reid (1899)

We've now added...

Account of Compensation Paid by Government to the Sufferers
    Rental of the Estate of Perth in 1748-9. Parish of Auchterarder
    Trial of Violet Mar for Witchcraft
    Salmon Fishing on the Earn
    John Brugh, the Warlock of Fossoway
    The Witch Covin at the Crook of Devon
    The Terrible Parish

Kind of interesting to read about Salmon fishing in the aread and that chapter starts...

CONSIDERABLE dissatisfaction has for many years existed in regard to a dam-dyke across the River Earn, with cruives therein for taking salmon, erected near Dupplin. The proprietors on the upper reaches of the river complain that the effect of this dyke is to prevent the fish going up, and thus injurious to their rights of property Remonstrances by public bodies and private proprietors have been made, but the dyke remains.

In introducing the subject, attention is drawn to the fact that the alleged grievance is not of modern origin, but of very ancient date. The predecessor of the present proprietor of Duppiin and Aberdalgie estate was Lord Oliphant of Aberdalgie.

On 7th August, 1610, a complaint was made to the Privy Council by John, Earl of Montrose; John, Ear! of Tullibardin; and Sir James Cunynghame of Glengarnock, setting forth that divers Acts of the Scottish Parliament were passed, ordaining all cruives or dams made in fresh water for rivers that are "corst or set within the Hood mark" to be destroyed, as tending to the destruction of smolts and fry of salmon fish (1581, ch. xv.); and the late Laurence, Lord Oliphant, first in 1560, and again in 1583, having set up certain cruives and dams on the water of the Erne, be-east the coble of Forteviot—to the "grite spoyll" of all kinds of fish in the said water—charges had been given to the Sheriff of Terth in both these years, to cast down the said dams. The said charges having been executed, and Lord Oliphant having duly obeyed the same, there had been no violation of the said Act on the said water till lately, when Laurence, now Lord Oliphant, had resolved to set up a new dam on the said water between the complainers and the water mouth, and so not only to spoil them of their fishing in the said water, wherein they are heritably infeft, but also to destroy the whole fish, young and old, within the said water, thereby making the said river, which was "verie ritche and plentifull of fischeis,'" to become "altogidder barren and void of fischeis, to the grite hurte of the commonwele." Lord Oliphant appearing, and the Earl of Tullibardin, but neither of the other complainers, the Lords, in regard that the decision of this matter will depend on the heritable right claimed by the defender to the erecting of a dam of the said water, continue the case until 15th March next, and- meanwhile, discharge the defender from setting up any dams, cruives, or yairs on the said water.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter16.htm

You can get to the other chapters at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...rder/index.htm

Memoir of Sir Andrew Crombie Ramsay
    -----------------------------------
    By Sir Archibald Geikie (1895)

This is a new book we're starting on and here is the Preface to read here...

THE life of a professional man of science seldom offers such variety of incident and interest as to justify more than a brief record. In most cases a summary of his work and an estimate of its value in the onward march of knowledge form for such a man the most fitting memorial. Now and then, however, a leader has appeared, who, by the fascination of his personality, or by the extent and importance of his individual achievements, has exercised so marked an influence on his contemporary fellow-workers, or on the general advancement of science, that the desire naturally arises to know something more of him and of his surroundings, than the mere list of his labours. One would fain learn how he came to be drawn into the ranks of the soldiers of science, and by what process of training or what stages of evolution he rose to be a captain in those ranks. The story of his discoveries may some times have had a vivid personal interest, and those who can best appreciate the value of these discoveries would gladly know how they were made.

The subject of the present memoir stood in the forefront of the Geology of his time, and by the charm of his genial nature, as well as by the enthusiasm of his devotion to science, exercised a wide influence among his contemporaries.

To that large circle of friends who knew him in his prime, and to that yet wider public which recognises how much it has profited by his labours, some brief record of the life of Andrew Crombie Ramsay will be welcome. He was almost my earliest geological friend, and for many years we were bound together by the closest ties of scientific work and of unbroken friendship. It has been, therefore, a true labour of love to put together this little memorial of him. As far as the materials at my disposal would permit, I have allowed his personal experiences to be told in his own words. I have tried to trace the gradual progress of his development as a geologist, and to offer a short summary of what seem to me to have been the essential features of his contributions to his favourite science. And I have sought, though I fear with but imperfect success, to show something of that bright, sunny spirit which endeared him to all who came within its influence.

Sir Andrew Ramsay joined the Geological Survey when it was still in its infancy, and he remained on its staff during the whole of his active scientific career a period of forty years. So entirely did he identify himself with the aims and work of the Survey, and so largely was he instrumental in their development, that the chronicle of his life is in great measure the record also of the progress of that branch of the public service. Recognising this intimate relation, I have woven into my narrative such additional detail as might perhaps serve to make the volume not only a personal biography, but an outline of the history of the Geological Survey of the United Kingdom.

Among those who have kindly supplied me with letters or information I would especially express my indebtedness to Lady Ramsay and Sir Andrew Ramsay's nephew, Professor William Ramsay, F.R.S., who have furnished many family and personal details; and to Mrs. Johnes and Lady Hills-Johnes of Dolaucothy, who have lent a large collection of letters. Old colleagues on the Geological Survey have likewise been helpful, especially Lord Playfair, Mr. W. T. Aveline, Mr. A. R. C. Selwyn, Professor T. M Kenny Hughes, Professor A. H. Green, Mr. H. H. Howell, Mr. W. Whitaker, Mr. F. W. Rudler, Mr. A. Strahan, and the late Mr. W. Topley. Mr. M. J. Salter has lent a number of letters addressed to his father. To some of Sir Andrew s foreign correspondents I am likewise under obligation, particularly to Professor Zirkel, Professor Daubree, Professor Riitimeyer, Professor Capellini, and the family of Signor Sella. It has seemed to me that additional interest would be given to the biography by the insertion not only of a likeness of its subject, but of portraits of some of his more notable comrades. I have accordingly added likenesses of a dozen of his geological associates whose names and work are well known. These have been taken as far as possible from early photographs, so as to picture the men as they looked when they were actively engaged with Ramsay in geological work. But in some cases when no early likeness was available, or where the photographs had become too faded for reproduction, later portraits have been chosen.

GEOLOGICAL SURVEY OFFICE, JERMYN STREET,
    LONDON, 12th September 1894

You can read this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../ramsayndx.htm

Ramsey MacDonald Heritage Trail
    -------------------------------
    I added a new leaflet for the Heritage trail. It is actally a very useful leaflet should you find yourself in Lossiemouth. You can read this leaflet at http://www.electricscotland.com/lossiemouth/ramsay.htm

Beth's Newfangled Family Tree
    -----------------------------
    Compiled by beth Gay

The November 2001 issue is now available which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/bnft

There are a number of regular columns in this publication one of which is The Whisky Trail where each issue explores a whisky in depth. There is also a Flowers of the Forrest where you will find significant Scots that have passed away. You'll always find seperate articles, clan news, and information on Highland Games. So all in all a good read.

Banffshire Maritime and Heritage Association
    --------------------------------------------
    Got in a copy of their 2011 Newsletter Issue 4 which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/life...2011issue4.pdf

And that's it for now and hope you all have a good weekend.

Alastair
    http://www.electricscotland.com
Working...
X