The Bards of Bon Accord 1375 - 1860
    History of Aberdeen and Banff
    Between the Ochils and the Forth
    Upon Their Hands They Will Carry you
    A Fisherman’s Reflections on a beautiful but troubled world
    Clan Leslie

Electric Scotland News
    ----------------------
    We are again workng on our Comment System which you'll see at the foot of each page of the site. Unfortunatly it still isn't working as Steve can't figure out how to enable the email system which lets you both register and add a comment. We've put in a query to their technical support people but so far they haven't responded. I've asked Steve to try phoning them to quickly resolve this issue.

-----

I'm currently working with two authors who both have complete books up on the site. Neither have yet been published but both have decided to do a makeover to edit and add further information. Both books are excellent reads and am more than happy to do these edits for them. I'll detail more about them both below as hopefully you'll enjoy reading them both.

-----

And here are a couple of significant events coming up, one in North Carolina and the other in Scotland...

Scottish Heritage Symposium 2012.

Laurinburg, N.C. – The 2012 Charles Bascombe Shaw Memorial Scottish Heritage Symposium presented by the St. Andrews University Scottish Heritage Center will take place March 16-18.

“Our symposium has provided a forum for those interested in Scottish history, culture and genealogy to learn from top scholars in their respective fields,” said Bill Caudill, director of the Scottish Heritage Center. “Since beginning in 1989, our symposium has gained national recognition as a leader in the exploration of Scottish culture.”

Festivities will begin with the Scottish Heritage Center open for visitors to explore during the late morning on Friday, March 16.

The educational sessions begin with a presentation on life in 18th century Argyll by highly regarded historian and folklorist Brigadier John MacFarlane.

A graduate of Glasgow University, the Gaelic speaking MacFarlane spent more than 30 years in the British Army. He retired as Ministry of Defense Director of Education and Training Services for the Army and is now enjoying his third career in Gaelic broadcasting for both TV and radio. He is active in the Taynuilt community of Scotland, singing bass in the local Gaelic Choir as well as serving as an active member of the St. Johns Episcopal Cathedral in Oban.

MacFarlane will present again Saturday morning on “Gaelic place Names, Folktales and Folk Saying of Upper Lorn.”

Next up is Dr. John Hutton presenting “Scottish Kinship, Political and Mercantile Networks of the Atlantic World, ca. 1720-1776.”

Hutton recently completed a Ph.D. in Scottish and Diasporic Studies through the Research Institute for Irish and Scottish Studies at the University of Aberdeen. His dissertation, The Campbells of Argyll in 18th Century Scotland and America, is the most recent scholarship with relevance to North Carolina’s Argyll Colony.

He will provide a second lecture Saturday afternoon with “The Minor Elites of the Southwest Highlands including the Campbells, McAllisters and the MacNeills.”

June Skinner Sawyers will present on the music and poetry of the Highland Clearances during her session on Saturday morning.

A native of Glasgow, Scotland, Sawyers has spent many years in the Chicago area. She has written extensively about music, popular culture and particularly Celtic culture and music. Her work, Celtic Music – A Complete Guide, has served as the text for the Celtic music and culture course offered at St. Andrews.

Completing the speaking platform in 2012 is Dr. Suzanne Cameron Linder Hurly, who will share information on the emigrant experience specific to the Carolinas.

A graduate of Converse College, she holds a M.A. degree in history from Wake Forest University and a Pd.D. from the University of South Carolina. The Bennettsville, S.C., native has published 10 books, the most recent being From the Highlands to High Finance – The Carolina McColls.

In addition to the educational activities of the weekend, three additional events have joined the symposium tradition.

Friday evening, the Scottish Heritage Awards Banquet will feature the presentation of the Scottish Heritage Center Award and the Flora Macdonald Award.

“We are honored to present the Scottish Heritage Center Award to Beacham McDougald for his years as the driving force behind the ongoing student exchange program between Scotland High School and Oban High School in Argyll, Scotland,” said Caudill. “We will also have the privilege of presenting the Flora Macdonald award to Pat Johnston for her work over the last 30 years promoting Scottish dance in the Carolinas.”

McDougald’s work with the Laurinburg-Oban Student Exchange Program has allowed more than 400 students to experience an extended visit in either Oban or Laurinburg, and has fostered the rebuilding of links between these two regions.

“It is especially fitting to honor his work in this 20th Anniversary of the Laurinburg-Oban Exchange program which is perhaps the most significant of its kind in the nation,” said Caudill. “It has fostered strong links between the youth of Scotland County and their peers in Argyll.”
    Johnston has served as a mentor and teacher for literally hundreds of young Scottish dances and also served as an organizer and official at various Highland Games dances competitions throughout the Southeast.

“She has been quite active in her clan organization alongside her late husband Steve,” said Caudill. “She has also encouraged interest in Scottish Country Dance here in the eastern part of North Carolina.”

The annual musical performance set for Saturday night is a “Young Scottish Performers of the Carolinas” Concert. This recital performance will feature young performers from the Carolinas who are pursing Highland music and dance with featured performances in piping, fiddling and Highland Dance.

The final event of the weekend is the annual Kirkin’ of the Tartans Worship Service at Laurinburg Presbyterian Church on Sunday morning.

For a full schedule of events and registration information, please go to http://www.sapc.edu/shc/scottishheritagesymposium.php or call the Scottish Heritage Center at 910-277-5236. Email reservations are also taken at rsvp@sapc.edu. Please remember to include Scottish Heritage in the subject line and include names of all participants.

About St. Andrews University

St. Andrews is a student and teaching-focused University which offers a broad range of undergraduate majors in a curriculum that is global in scope and practical in its application. The quality of the St. Andrews educational experience has been recognized by U.S. News and World Report, The Princeton Review, and GI Jobs among others. In addition to its academic programs, the University has an acclaimed university press, men’s and women’s athletic teams, a nationally competitive equestrian program, and an award-winning pipe band. Further information may be obtained by visiting the University’s website http://www.sapc.edu, calling 800-763-0198, or sending an e-mail to info@sapc.edu.

-----

And here is the second event...

EDINBURGH THEATRE ARTS

MACBETH IN SCOTS

The Scottish Play is coming home!

Shakespeare’s Macbeth, written in English for a Scottish King, was translated into Scots by the late Robin Lorimer and published by Canongate Press in 1992. Robin’s powerful translation brings to vibrant life Shakespeare’s bloody tale of ambition, treachery and downfall.

In 1995, Edinburgh Theatre Arts presented selected scenes from Macbeth in Scots on the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in a short, late-night companion piece to our successful full–scale Fringe production of Shakespeare’s original text. Our late-night production was a great success, as confirmed by enthusiastic reviews:

“Scots tongue adds pride and passion”, Edinburgh Evening News.

“The translation by Robin Lorimer is remarkable for its simple passion and compression and it brings a new dark directness and energy to Shakespeare’s text. …… Obviously, the translation should be performed in its entirety by some enlightened company, but this is a strong and enticing taster.” The Scotsman

We are that company. The time is now right to go ahead as part of the RSC Open Stages project. The ongoing debate about Scottish independence and Scottish cultural identity makes it all the more relevant.

Our production will not be a couthy ‘tartan and haggis’ affair. Lorimer’s Scots translation demands a dark, sinewy and fast-flowing production enhanced by simple, atmospheric lighting, sound and staging.

Performance dates

Tuesday1st-Saturday 5th May 2012 (including Saturday matinee)
    St Ninians Hall, Stockbridge, Edinburgh
    Traquair Shakespeare Festival - selected scenes 27th May 2012
    Edinburgh Festival Fringe: 6th-18th August 2012 (excluding Sunday) including matinee performances on Saturdays. St Ninians Hall, Stockbridge, Edinburgh

Electric Canadian
    -----------------
    I was delighted to get in some facts about the Mining Industry in Canada with thanks to Joe Oliver MP. I've added his letter to the foot of the mining index page "Canada is a global mining giant" and have also provided a couple of web links to other resources. You can get to this at http://www.electriccanadian.com/tran...ines/index.htm

ABOUT THE STORIES
    -----------------
    Some of the stories in here are just parts of a larger story so do check out the site for the full versions. You can always find the link in our "What's New" section in our site menu and at http://www.electricscotland.com/whatsnew.htm and also http://www.electriccanadian.com/whatsnew.htm

THE FLAG IN THE WIND
    --------------------
    This weeks issue has been Compiled by Clare Adamson in which she is talking about failed promises to Scotland. In the couple of articles in the Synopsis you'll read a bit about Creative Scotland and Scottish Food and Drink.

You can read this issue at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Jamieson's Dictionary of the Scottish Language
    ----------------------------------------------
    We've added more to this dictionary...

Scottish Language Letter P

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...eson/index.htm

Scottish Poets in America
    -------------------------
    With Biographical and Critical Notices by John D, Ross (1889)

Now added...

Patterson, John

This is a new entry for this week and can be found at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet.../chapter16.htm

The other entries can be found at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet...rica/index.htm

Life Jottings of an Old Edinburgh Citizen
    -----------------------------------------
    By Sir J. H. A. MacDonald P.C., K.C.B., Lord Justice-Clerk.

Added this week...

Chapter Thirty-Four
    University Tercentenary—Banquet in Drill Hall—Dreary speeches—New Buildings—University Hall—Sir Alexander Grant—Restoration of City Cross—Royal proclamations

Chapter Thirty-Five
    Appointment as Lord-Advocate—Elected to Parliament—Meeting with Chamberlain—A Home Rude episode—John Bright at Home Rule division —Criminal Procedure Amendment Act—Lucky chance to pass it—Saving effected by Act—Both money and time—Major O'Gorman

Chapter Thirty-Six
    Queen's Jubilee—Compliment on Queen's Brigade uniform—Faculty Dinner in Parliament House—Insult to Church if Scotland—Put with Nonconformists at ceremony—Westminster Abbey Service

Chapter Thirty-Seven
    Appointment as Lord Justice-Clerk—Misgivings—The Monson Trial— Appointed Brigadier-General to Forth Volunteer Brigade—Mobilised at time of Boer War--4000 men—Inaugurated power traction in camp— Hon, Colonel Army Motor Reserve—Infantry drafts sent to war—Doctors differ

Chapter Thirty-Eight
    The Diamond Jubilee—Unique experience—Instantaneous message to all her peoples—Unique assemblage of troops—No memorial of her in Edinburgh

In Chapter Thirty-Eight it starts...

I HAVE thought best to say all I have to say about the later years of my service as a Volunteer at one time, and I now turn back to, general public events.

As regards the sixty years Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897, which got the name of the Diamond Jubilee, I am unable to say anything in connect! )n with Edinburgh, as I was in London at the time, but on that occasion I had an experience which I think must have been unique, as I saw the royal procession twice from beginning to end. In the morning I took some friends to Pall Mall East, to the offices of the National Rifle Association, of the Council of which I was a member, and after the procession had passed I went down to Dover House—the Scottish Office—and saw it return from the. roof of the Portico. When I said to others that I intended to do this, they scorned the idea. "Pooh, my dear fellow, you will never get past the cordon across Whitehall." I thought I would. All who had uniforms who were to be spectators were enjoined to wear them. I wore the very gorgeous uniform of Adjutant-General of the Scottish Royal Archers, Queen's Bodyguard, and trusted to this to pass me. When I reached the cordon, and the ten-deep crowd behind the cavalry, I said in firm tones: "Let me pass, if you please." All looked round, and when they saw my plumed cocked hat and golden epaulettes, they at once stood aside, and I passed through at once.

These chapters can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ings/index.htm

Calendar Of Documents Relating to Scotland
    ------------------------------------------
    By Joseph Bain

Our thanks to John Henderson for compiling this for us. This week we've added...

Volume 4
    1357 to 1375

You can get to this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...bain/index.htm

Northern Notes and Queries
    --------------------------
    Edited by Rev. R. W. Cornelious Hallen (1886)

We now have up the next Issue of this publication. March Quarterly Edition 1888, which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...hern/index.htm

Songs of Robert Burns
    ---------------------
    We added "The Jolly Beggars" to this book.

You can get to this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/burns/songs/index.htm

Robert Burns Lives!
    -------------------
    By Frank Shaw

Burns Supper held at the Stonehouse Primary School near Larkhall, Glasgow

Last month Susan and I had the privilege of attending the annual conference at the University of Glasgow’s Centre for Robert Burns Studies. It always provides an opportunity to hear several outstanding speakers, renew auld acquaintances and make some new ones. At dinner one evening, Kirsteen McCue, Co-Director of the Centre, told us about an intriguing Burns Supper put on by school children. Kirsteen’s son, Gregor, was a participant in the supper, so I did what I always do when I hear something interesting about Burns - I asked for a copy of the program and pictures of the event! With thanks to Gregor, his classmates and his mother, I hope you enjoy this rare Burns Supper held at the Stonehouse Primary School near Larkhall, Glasgow that these young people attend. You will also find an email of introduction from Gregor as well.
    (FRS: 2-22-12)

You can read this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...s_lives131.htm

Other articles in this series can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...rank/burns.htm

The Bards of Bon Accord 1375 - 1860
    -----------------------------------
    By William Walker

Added the chapter on Alexander Ross.

You can read this at http://www.electricscotland.com/poet...cord/index.htm

History of Aberdeen and Banff
    -----------------------------
    By WIlliam Watt (1900)

We're now up to Chapter XIII of this book.

In Chapter XII it starts...

Before King George set foot on British soil he had received the Earl of Mar's effusive letter proffering service and loyalty, and as the king would have nothing to do with any of Queen Anne's ministers, Mar, who was an accomplished courtier, the brother-in-law of Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, and the friend of St John and Harley, as of Pope and Arbuthnot, tried to strengthen his position by a memorial tendering the fealty and duty of the MacDonalds, Camerons, Macphersons, Macintoshes, and other Highland clans. But his overtures were neglected. For nearly a year after his dismissal he hung about the Court, and then, in August 1715, started in disguise for Braemar and Kildrummy on his ill-starred mission. As Secretary of State he had with the Earl of Seafield, the Chancellor, taken part in promoting the Union, and it had been supported in the Scottish Parliament by a majority of the north-eastern representatives—the Earls of Kintore and Findlater, and Lords Forbes, Fraser, and Banff among the nobility, and of Commoners Sir Alexander Ogilvie of Forglen, Sir Thomas Burnett of Leys, Abercromby of Glassaugh, and William Seton, younger, of Pitmedden, the member for Aberdeenshire, who was one of its foremost advocates. Opposed to it were the Earl of Erroll and the Earl Marischal, who saw in it the loss of their hereditary offices of High Constable and great Marischal of Scotland; and Moir of Stoneywood, Gordon of Pitlurg, and James Ogilvie, younger, of Boyne.

But the Union had not, in its early years, fulfilled the promises and expectations held out by its promoters. Its advantages were not yet fully apparent, and its drawbacks in connection with some of the fiscal laws bulked largely in the public view. By its settlement of the Protestant succession in the House of Hanover and the Presbyterian Church, it acted as a challenge to the Jacobites and Episcopalians, who were numerous in the north-east. Every element of discontent and disaffection lent itself to the purposes of Mar. On the other hand, the Union was accepted, on the whole, by the ruling class in the city of Aberdeen, which, included many merchant-burgesses engaged in the foreign trade, one of whom, Provost John Gordon, formerly a factor at Campvcre, was the first representative of the city, with its associated burghs, in the British Parliament, and had an allowance from his constituents to meet his expenses in London.

You can read more of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter12.htm

You can read this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...deen/index.htm

Between the Ochils and the Forth
    --------------------------------
    We now have up the entire "Along the Great North Road" section...

ALONG THE GREAT NORTH ROAD

Chapter I - North Queensferry and Inverkeithing
    The Forth Bridge and its vicinity—Island of Inchgarvie— North Queensferry and its peninsula—Rosyth Castle— The town of Inverkeithing—Its history and objects of interest.

Chapter II. - From Inverkeithing to Aberdour
    Victory of Cromwell's army near Inverkeithing—Road to Aberdour—The Moray family and estate—Inchcolm, Donibristle, and Dalgety—Village of Aberdour—Otterstone.

Chapter III. - From Inverkeithing to Crossgates, Cowdenbeath and Lochgelly
    The Great North Road—House and grounds of Fordel— Village of Crossgates—The Hill of Beath—Great conventicle held there—Mess Murran ami Lochgelly,

Chapter IV. - From Cowdenbeath to Blairadam and Cleish
    The drained site of Loch Ore—Its ancient island castle— Ancient Roman station—Interest attaching to Loch Ore in connection with Sir Walter Scott—Approach to Blairadam—Its classic associations—Benarty Hill and Paranwell—Ballingry church—First view of Loch Leven— Village and barony of Cleish—History of its ancient lords, the Colvilles of Ochiltree—Ruined castle of Dow hill —Gairney Bridge and its associations—The first Secession Synod—Michael Bruce,

Chapter V. - Kinross and Loch Leven
    Town of Kinross and its environs—Kinross House—Loch Leven and its history—The Castle Island and its memorials of Queen Mary— The Isle of St Serf and its priory,

Chapter VI. - Round Loch Leven
    The loch and its surrounding scencry—Levenmouth and the sluices—Scotlandwell and the Bishop Hill—Portmeak church and village of Kinnesswood—Michael Bruce and his poetry—Hamlets of Easter and Wester Balgedie— The old church of Orwell,

Chapter VII. - From Kinross and Glen Farg
    Further progress on Great North Road— Village of Milnathort— Parish of Orwell—Castle of Burleigh and its proprietors—History of the Balfour family—Road from Milnathort to Damhead—Church of Arngask—Glen Farg and the Bein Bin—Old road from Damhead to Perth—The Wicks of Baiglie—Sir Walter Scott's account of distant view of Perth from that neighbourhood—Old drove-road to the Kirk of Dron— The Rocking-stone— Mill and hamlet of Dron,

You can read these chapters at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...hils/index.htm

Upon Their Hands They Will Carry you
    ------------------------------------
    By Donna Flood

As mentioned above Donna is doing an update of her book which is about her daughter who was born with cerebral palsy. Most of us have absolutely no idea what such a condition involves and how it impacts on both child and family members. In this book Donna explains the ignorance and bias which both existed and still exits today. It is an incredibly moving read. So far we're up to Page 36 and hope to complete the total re-write by the end of next week.

You can read this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...a/donna/hands/

A Fisherman’s Reflections on a beautiful but troubled world
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    By David B. Thmson

When we first published this book a couple of years back it became a very popular section of the site with over 200,000 page views. David is now bringing this book up to date and so far we've got to Chapter 6 on his re-write. I hope to get the balance of the book up in the next couple of weeks.

You can read this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/thomson/reflections.htm

Clan Leslie
    -----------
    I got in a copy of the newsletter for Clan Leslie of Australia and New Zealand which you can read at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...slie/index.htm

I also got in the newesletter of Clan Leslie Society International along with a special brochure about their 2012 Annual Gathering. You can read both these at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...ers/leslieint/

And finally...

In George Washington's days, there were no cameras. One's image was either sculpted or painted. Some paintings of George Washington showed him standing behind a desk with one arm behind his back while others showed both legs and both arms. Prices charged by painters were not based on how many people were to be painted, but by how many limbs were to be painted. Arms and legs are 'limbs,' therefore painting them would cost the buyer more. Hence the expression, 'Okay, but it'll cost you an arm and a leg.' (Artists know hands and arms are more difficult to paint)

And that's all for now and hope you all enjoy your weekend.

Alastair

Re: Newsletter 24th February 2012

I just wanted to remark as to how much I'm enjoying "Jamieson's Dictionary of the Scottish Language". I'm well aware that only a complete 'nerd' would enjoy a dictionary, but there is a wealth of words we've used in songs and poetry all our lives that I've never actually understood, so it's enjoyable and educational to track their precise meaning in the context of the Scots language of the day. Today's word of the day was "Mains" which describes the farm lands attached to a mansion. My great-grandfather was raised on a Mains in Angus and even the local Scots I asked were not sure of its exact meaning. Good fun, thanks!

Comment

It's certainly a good resource Rick. Like you I had some issues with the Scots language and in particular with the poems of Robert Burns. The one poem I always thought I should enjoy was The Farmers New Year Greeting to his old mare Maggie" but could never really understand it. Then I got in a copy of "Understanding Robert Burns" when that poem was explained to me. You can read that book at http://www.electricscotland.com/burn...ding_burns.htm

Alastair

Comment

Thanks Alastair, I've had a copy for several years and use it regularly. I agree it adds a lot to the poetry to enjoy it in the original with translation as necessary, and the book is free of the typographical errors that plague so many of the website versions, including the "official" ones. Highly recommended!

Comment

Working...
        X