History of the St Andrew's Society of the State of New York 1756 - 1906
    Robert Burns Lives!
    Scottish Independence and Scotland's Future
    Traditions of Lochaber
    The Herring Fisheries of Scotland
    Caithness and Sutherland
    Antiquarian Notes regarding Families and Places in the Highlands
    Bible Stories retold in words of one syllable
    George Buchanan, A Biography by D. MacMillan (1906)
    Folk-Lore from the West of Ross-Shire
    A Study in Scarlet
    Dalziel St Andrew's Parish Church
    The Scot at Home and Abroad
    The Frasers of Foyers, styled "Sliochd Huistean Fhrangaich"
    The MacDonalds of Morar, styled "Mac Dhughail"
    Beth's Newfangled Family Tree
    and finally

Electric Scotland News
    In my day to day work I gather lots of information and also books in pdf format. Usually this is as a result of me reading a book and finding a mention of another one in it that tweaks my interest. My aim for the site was always to give breadth of information rather than depth of information. I figured if you read something on the site you could always dig deeper yourself to find out more. This week I've been reviewing my archive and have decided to make some of the pdf books available for download. One example of this is that I already have up a book about Caithness. That means there is little point in adding another book about Caithness. However in my archive I had two books... one on the families of Caithness and the other on the history of Caithness and Sutherland... so I decided to add both these books to the index page of the book I already have up. So I plan to add more of these archive books in the weeks ahead.

-----

I've noticed a huge increase in visitor traffic from the UK. They now account for some 31% of our visitors and of that Scotland accounts for 40% of that. Given that in population terms Scotland is just 5% of the UK population that obviously means we are reaching good numbers of local Scots. While I noticed this move a month or so ago I figured it was just a blip but it's remained steady over this past month so looks like it's a firm trend. I was trying to account for this and in part it may be down to the launch of our ScotNews feed and also the launch of our "Scottish Independence and Scotland's Future" section.

-----

And just to tell you a bit more about the ScotNews feed. This is displayed on the index page of the site, our home page. All I do is trawl the news sites each day when I start work and anything that tweaks my interest gets added to the feed. The format is very simple in that I add a title, a short description and then a web page address of the article. So if you click on a news story you are taken to the web site that hosts the story. I do try to add anything I find about the Scots Diaspora. I have also added a wee text file of a bit of java code that can be inserted into a page of any web site and that will then display the feed on your own site and thus giving you some dynamic content.

Electric Canadian

Canada and its Provinces
    In 22 volumes and Index

I have now started to add these volumes and the idea is to make one volume available each week until complete. Should you be interested in this series then you'll be able to dip into each volume during the week and thus be ready for the next volume appearing.

Now added Volume 5.

You can get to this collection towards the foot of our Canadian History page at
    http://www.electriccanadian.com/hist...nada/index.htm

Jack L Cooke
    Last week I added this book to the site for you to read. I was interested in knowing a bit more of the challenges that Jack had due to his deafness and he kindly send it a chapter of another book he has written about that very subject so have now added this to his book page

You can read this at http://www.electriccanadian.com/makers/jcooke/index.htm

Life of John Milne
    The love of history in our family is clearly longstanding. John Milne understood the value of his contribution to the building of our nation. His stories are interesting, informative and are filled with humanity. Reading the autobiography gives us a very real representation of what life was like in his time when our country was young and virtually anything was possible.

There is much that we can take pride in when reviewing John Milne’s contribution, but perhaps the lesson we can learn from this man’s life is that we all have the ability to contribute to the building of Canada. John Milne’s energy and accomplishments have become part of the very fabric of Canada.

John Milne’s energy and spirit also became a part of his granddaughter, Barbara Katherine Wilhelmina Helen Luete Winterton, the child he essentially raised. Through reading about John Milne, we can understand where she got her entrepreneurial spirit and how she must have found compatibility with our grandfather, William Edward Winterton, another entrepreneur. Their children, William (Bill) Milne Winterton (father of Bill, Brock, Barbara, Susan and Sharon) and Douglas Karl Winterton (father of Tracy) have their own stories to tell and we, their children, will be a part of those stories.

I believe John Milne’s story is one we should all be familiar with because it is a story about where we come from. It grounds us in the history of this country. I thought it important for us to retain the original character of the autobiography and so have had it published as it was typed, corrected and added to by his own hand.

It is an unabridged copy of his original.

You can read this book at http://www.electriccanadian.com/makers/john_milne.htm

The Flag in the Wind
    This weeks edition was Compiled by Jim Lynch. In this issue there are several major articles making this a really good read.

Lots of interesting articles which you can read at http://www.scotsindependent.org

Electric Scotland

The Scottish Historical Review
    We have now started on Volume 3 at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...w/volume03.htm

You can read the previous issues at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/review/

Songs from John Henderson
    John sent us in a new song this week and here is one to read here...

The Reivin' Mulk-Coo
    ['The Thieving Milk-Cow', or 'The Cow Jumped Onto The Moon']

Nonsense lyrics composed by John Henderson on the 6th of February, 2013,
    to Ted Snyder's 1923 music for the song, 'Who's Sorry Now', played here by Jim Bottorff..

Ools 'Tit-ti-woo', - coos gie a 'Moo';
    - Cats aft are 'Purrin' anse chirmin' 'Mie-ew';
    Oz kangaroos, - in Scotia's zoos
    Whiles waltz tae 'Ma Tilda's Blues'!

Fyle weel in teen, - gaen ow'r the meen,
    - Ae mulk-coo moo-bans some-hoo,
    "See louper me, reivin' fur tea
    Maw-fu's o' cheese, gowd an' green!"

Meen isna chuff'd, - mair like he's huff'd;
    - Oz 'kangs' are quait a' thur hich-loups weel bate;
    Ools wink an' lauch, - cats clap by gosh
    Tae meesic caa'd 'Milk-Coo's Nosh'!

"Leuk, sangs mulk-coo, - the meen's tirn'd blue,
    - Nae langer he's hale an' fere;
    Gie him some cheer, him waar the weer,
    Nae mair cheese-loups fur me noo!"

English Version !

Owls 'Tit-ti-woo', - Cows give a 'Moo';
    - Cats oft are 'Purring' or squealing 'Mie-ew';
    Oz Kangaroos, - in foreign zoos
    Slow waltz to 'Ma Tilda's Blues'!

While still in tune, - up near the Moon,
    - One Milk-Cow moo-bans "How, Now!
    See leaping me, stealing for tea
    Mouthfuls of cheese, as I croon!"

Moon is not chuff'd, - more like he's huff'd;
    - Oz 'Kangs' though neat find their high-jumps well beat;
    Owls wink and stare, - Cats scratch their hair
    To music called 'Moon-Cheese-Stuff'd'!

"Look, sings Milk-Cow, - this Moon's good chow,
    - But showing much wear and tear;
    Up in his lair, he's going spare;
    All hard to bear, high up there."

Mind that John mainly writes in the Doric language of the North East of Scotland.

You can read more of John's songs mostly in the Doric language at http://www.electricscotland.com/poetry/doggerels.htm

Some Reminiscences and the Bagpipe
    By Alexander Duncan Fraser

Have added the following chapters this week...

Chapter XXXIII — The Great Highland Bagpipe
    Chapter XXXIV — The Great Highland Bagpipe: Its Antiquity
    Chapter XXXV — Mr Macbain and the Bagpipe
    Chapter XXXVI — A Great War Instrument
    Chapter XXXVII — The Pipe at Funeral Rites

In the chapter "Mr Macbain and the Bagpipe" we read...

WHAT reasons for doubting the antiquity of the Highland Bagpipe can the antiquarian give? With what arguments does he assail the mass of proof in favour of its antiquity brought together in the preceding chapters?

What record for consistency on this subject can he shew?

At first, the antiquarian said, that the Bagpipe was introduced’ into Scotland by the Romans. This gave the instrument a fine air of antiquity, and was flattering to the Highlanders. But after a few blunders on the lines of the Inverary fiasco, he began to search history for written proof. “There must be no more guessing,” he said; and having found what he believed to be the earliest mention of the Bagpipe in George Buchanan’s history, and having learned, in some way or another, that Queen Mary had probably brought over a Piper in her train—a musette player—he then asserted that the Bagpipe was introduced to the Scottish people for the first time by Queen Mary in the second half of the sixteenth century. His attention, however, was, after a time, called to a book which had been published some years before Queen Mary came to this country, in which two different kinds of Scots Bagpipes were mentioned. This was rather disconcerting to the Queen Mary hypothesis, and again our antiquary had to shift his ground, if only by a few years.

The book referred to was written in 1548, and not by one day more would he allow that the Bagpipe was known in Scotland. When I came to Falkirk, twenty-four years ago, the introduction of the “Pipes” had been put still farther back.

The end of the fifteenth century was pronounced to be the correct date. Burgh records shewing payments to the Town-Piper of this period had in the meantime turned up. But only a few more years had passed when the first of the old Exchequer Rolls was published, and as the Bagpipe is there mentioned as a Court instrument, the date had again to be shifted, this time back to the middle of the fourteenth century, to the year 1362 ; and at this date, so far as our antiquarian friends are concerned, it still stands ; not a very consistent record for the antiquary this. I hope, however, that I have given sufficient proof to make it necessary for him to shift back the date once more, some 250 years or so—tracing it down certainly to the middle of the twelfth century. And I feel sure there are many who, after they have read this book, will go farther and believe with Aristides Quintilianus that the Bagpipe was known to the Celt of Scotland in the first century. We are not therefore indebted to any other nation for it, as I have always maintained, but we brought it with us from our old home in the East, and other nations are indebted for it to us.

Now there is a paper called The Home Journal, published, I believe, in Inverness. In the number dated Saturday, February 4th, 1899, there is a long article on the Bagpipe by a well-known scholar and antiquary, who signs himself Alex. MacBain, M.A.

He is said to be one of the best Gaelic scholars of the day, and has written a most excellent Gaelic Dictionary. He has also written numerous articles upon Highland matters, in which latter he has always shewn a great interest; and if any man can produce proof to demolish the belief held by so many Highlanders that the Bagpipe is an old Highland instrument, Mr MacBain is the man of all others to do so. As it happens, he has made the attempt in this very article of February 4th, 1899, and we will now note carefully, and also test, what he has got to say on the matter. The very title of the paper, “The History of the Highland Bagpipe: a lesson in anachronism ” is aggressive, and partly prepares us for what follows : viz., that it is a modern instrument in the Highlands and not Celtic at all.

You can read the rest of this chapter at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist.../chapter35.htm

You can read the other chapters at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/bagpipe

Songs Of Scotland, Prior To Burns
    This book is by Robert Chambers who is famous for collecting old Scottish Songs. His publishing house produced numerous very important works many of which he authored himself. On the page for this book is a biography of him along with another song book he published.

We are adding individual songs in pdf format so you can print them out. As each song provides the sheet music, words and notes about the song it should be of great help to anyone wanting to play these. Added this week are...

Tranent Muir
    Charlie is my Darling
    Lewis Gordon

You can get to this book at the foot of the page at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ers_robert.htm

History of the St Andrew's Society of the State of New York 1756 - 1906
    By George Austin Morrison, General Secretary of the Society

I have already published the History of the St Andrews Society of Toronto so thought this would be a great addition to our understanding of what the Scots got up to in New York.

This week we've added bios on the following Presidents...

John Graham
    John Johnston
    David Hadden
    Hugh Maxwell
    David S. Kennedy

Here is a wee bit about Hugh Maxwell the 22nd President...

The Maxwells formed a powerful border family in the south of Scotland and at one time claimed to be the Earls of Nithsdale, having obtained the title for adherence to the cause of the Stuarts in 1716.

Hugh Maxwell was the son of William Maxwell and was born in 1787 at Paisley, Scotland. He died on the 31st March, 1873, at his residence, No. 14 St. Marks Place, in New York City, at the advanced age of eighty-six years.

His father, William Maxwell, came to this country in 1790, bringing with him his small family and his son Hugh, then three years of age. Hugh Maxwell received a sound education in the public school and entered Columbia College, whence he graduated in 1808.
    Gulian C. Verplanck was one of his classmates and an intimate friend, and was associated with him in a curious affair which created great excitement and comment at the time. At the class commencement day, one of the graduates, in the course of his oration, expressed political sentiments in opposition to those held by the faculty. That august body thereupon peremptorily refused the young orator his degree and the usual college honors. Both Mr. Verplanck and Mr. Maxwell roundly denounced such action as arbitrary and unjust— sentiments which a number of their fellow-students sustained—and the affair rapidly took an important turn. The young men were indicted for inciting a riot, and Mr. DeWitt Clinton, the then Mayor of New York, in his charge to the jury, vehemently denounced the conduct of the students. Public sentiment, however, was aroused and the newspapers declared in favor of the accused and severely criticized the Columbia College faculty for their illiberal views and arbitrary action, stating that a university should advocate and favor no particular political creed. Eventually the matter was settled by fining the principals, among whom Messrs. Verplanck and Maxwell ranked as the leaders.

Mr. Maxwell immediately thereafter took up the study of law, was admitted to the bar and began practice in 1808. He soon built up a lucrative practice, but shortly after the outbreak of the War of 1812 with Great Britain he entered the United States Army in his first public position as Assistant Junior Advocate General in 1814.

You can read the rest of this bio at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...york/bio22.htm

The other bios can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/america/newyork

Robert Burns Lives!
    By Frank Sha

I met Dr. Walter McGinty last month at the annual conference hosted by the Centre for Robert Burns Studies at the University of Glasgow. I knew immediately I was talking to a man who loved and revered Burns as a scholar and Burnsian. Below is an article written by Dr. McGinty along with some biographical information regarding his life which you will find just as interesting as his article. Enjoy! (FRS: 2.14.13)

His article is about "Aspects of the Humour of Robert Burns" and can be read at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...s_lives163.htm

Other articles in this seris can be read at http://www.electricscotland.com/fami...rank/burns.htm

Scottish Independence and Scotland's Future
    Added this week...

Due to the Realm of Scotland web site closing down we've rescued a few of their reference documents with their permission. You can read these at http://www.electricscotland.com/inde.../ref/index.htm

Scotland analysis: devolution and the implications of Scottish independence
    To inform the debate about Scotland’s constitutional future, the UK government is undertaking a programme of analysis on Scotland’s place in the UK and how it contributes to and benefits from being part of the UK. The work will provide people in Scotland with the facts and figures that are currently unknown or taken for granted, and explain how the UK in its current form works.
    You should consider when reading any of this information that both sides will do their own spin on things. I did read the whole of this first document they produced and yet again we get mired in discussions on the EU which is why in my view we should state clearly that we should not retain membership of the EU.

We have provided a link to this web site from our Independence Debate section at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/independence/debate.htm

Traditions of Lochaber
    From the Transactions of the Gaelic Society of Inverness.

Perhaps there is no part of the Western Highlands that has clung so tenaciously to the traditions of old, and the glory of the ancient heroes, as the district of Lochaber. This, however, is not to be much wondered at when it is remembered that although the West of Scotland has frequently been overrun by our enemies, they never obtained a firm footing in Lochaber. The Roman legions, in attempting to penetrate into the wilds of Lochaber, came to grief in the Moor of Rannoch, and Tacitus, the Roman historian, relates that the Romans in one campaign in Caledonia lost 60,000 men.. These are traditionally believed to have perished in the winter’s storms in the Moor of Rannoch in the attempt to penetrate into Lochaber. At a later period, we find the Lochaber men, under Sir Ewen Cameron of Lochiel, compelling the great Oliver Cromwell to make honourable terms of peace with them. It is perhaps to be regretted that the men who handed down the stories of the noted men of old, and their deeds of valour and daring, are fast dying out. A number of years ago many old men in Lochaber were able to give endless accounts of such men as Sir Ewen Cameron, Taillear Dubh na Tuaighe, Domhnuill Donn, and other popular heroes.

You can read the rest of this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...s/lochaber.htm

The Herring Fisheries of Scotland
    By R. W. Duff M.P. (1883) and includes a video in 2 parts of the history of the industry.

This is an interesting paper on the Herring Fisheries and includes various essays on the industry. I also found a two part video on YouTube about the industry which I've added to the page.

You can read all this at http://www.electricscotland.com/nature/herring.htm

Caithness and Sutherland
    I mentioned in the news that I had added a couple of pdf books so here they are...

"Caithness and Sutherland" and "Caithness Family Histories" both of which can be downloaded from the foot of the page at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/history/caithness

Antiquarian Notes regarding Families and Places in the Highlands
    By Charles Fraser-Mackintosh, FSA Scot. This is another publication by this famous author which we've make available as a pdf file but have provided the table of contents on this page.

You can view the contents and download the pdf file at http://www.electricscotland.com/history/inverness

Bible Stories retold in words of one syllable
    By Harriet T. Comstock. This book is in pdf format.

This is a book I acquired some time ago when I was building content for our Religious section. At the time I thought they were easy to read stories that would improve folks knowledge of the Bible and I still think that so now make it available in pdf format.

You can get to this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/bibl...ries00coms.pdf

George Buchanan, A Biography by D. MacMillan (1906)
    We already have a good entry for this person in our Famous Scots section but I discovered a full biography of him so added it to his page in pdf format.

BUCHANAN, GEORGE, one of the most distinguished reformers, political and religious, of the sixteenth century, and the best Latin poet which modern Europe has produced, was born in the parish of Killearn, Stirlingshire, in February, 1506, "of a family," to use his own words, "more ancient than wealthy."

You can get to this at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...nan_george.htm

Folk-Lore from the West of Ross-Shire
    Another interesting article from the Transactions of the Gaelic Society.

The following examples of the folk-lore of the West of the County of Ross and Cromarty have been collected during the years 1900 to 1904. Many, perhaps most, of them can lay little claim to novelty, but they supply evidence of the inclusion of this district in their area of distribution. They have been gathered almost wholly in Lochcarron, Kenlochewe, and, more especially, Torridon and Little Lochbroom. The two latter places are among the less frequented and less known parts of the district. In “Gairloch: Its Records, Traditions, Inhabitants, and Natural History,” by Mr J. H. Dixon, a book whose high merits are well known, the folk-lore of that parish is well represented, and much of what comes under one or other of the sub-divisions of Folklore has found a place in various volumes of our Society’s Transactions. Most of what is contained in the following pages belongs to the special division of Superstition.
    You can download this article in pdf format at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist..._rossshire.htm

A Study in Scarlet
    We've been serialising this book and now up to Chapter VII.

If you enjoy the Sherlock Holmes books you'll enjoy this book.

You can read this at:http://www.electricscotland.com/history/other/doyle.htm

Dalziel St Andrew's Parish Church
    I created a page for them as I discovered they are publishing their Sunday service on YouTube.

Now I know a lot of us profess to be Christians but many of us don't attend church very regularly if at all. Well this church is producing their Sunday service on YouTube so now if you devote just over an hour on Sunday you can attend this church service in Scotland.

Also...

Sat 23rd February
    Dalziel St Andrews Church
    Motherwell

7.00 for 7.30 (British Winter time)

Over the last few years Motherwell & Wishaw Rotary club has been funding the refurbishment of damaged and polluted water wells in Malawi. Over the coming year we plan to fund the refurbishment of a further 10 wells. In addition to refurbishing the wells, we are funding the creation and training of local water committees, to manage the ongoing maintenance of the wells.

To raise the necessary funds we are running a Fiddlers Rally with the Caledonian Fiddle Orchestra in Dalziel St Andrews Church Motherwell. In addition supporting acts will come from the Braidhurst African Drum Group and the Cathedral Primary School Choir.

You can watch the concert live on http://www.dalzielstandrews.org.uk/

Actually I think they'll be recording this so could be viewed later. I have added a page for them on the site at:
    http://www.electricscotland.com/bible/dalzeill.htm

I might add if I can find a Catholic Church in Scotland doing the same thing I'll add that to the site as well.

The Scot at Home and Abroad
    Being the substance of a lecture by Scots Canadian Poet John Imrie.

PREFACE
    The patriotic Scot abroad derives peculiar satisfaction and pleasure from the study of the characteristics of his countrymen in the dear old land, and from the Contemplation of his kinsmen's valour in war and his virtues in peace, as preserved in the traditions and records of Scotland. reminiscences of Home never lose their power abroad, but, on the contrary, feed the flame of national sentiment, for surely no son is prouder of his mother than the Scot from home is of the land of his fathers, whose bens and glens and heroes he loves and venerates with inextinguishable ardour.

The following pages afford an example of how that sentiment finds an outlet, in prose and verse. The author is known at home and abroad as an enthusiastic and intelligent worker in the Scottish field singing Scotland's praises, helping her sons to make a right start on the path in life leading to success and honour, fulfilling his duty as a good citizen and man, in such a way as to exemplify the best qualities of the race whence he sprung.

The lecture has been delivered before several Scottish Canadian assemblies, and this summary has been published at the suggestion of a few friends who think it may prove suitable as a reading at meetings of Scottish Societies during the winter evenings when speech, song and story go around. With this view I agree, believing the members of Caledonian and Sons of Scotland Societies will find the lecture to be instructive an<l entertaining on such occasions.

Alexander Fraser, M.A.,
    Grand Chief, Sons of Scotland
    TORONTO, Ont.
    August, 1898

You can read this lecture at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...scotathome.htm

The Frasers of Foyers, styled "Sliochd Huistean Fhrangaich"
    An article from the Transactions of the Gaelic Society of Inverness.

The three baronies of Abertarff, Stratherrick, and Durris comprehended nearly all those portions of the great Glen of Albyn which touched the eastern shores of Loch Oich, Loch Ness, and the River Ness, and in all the race of Fraser predominated. Of the once numerous Stratherrick families, that of Foyers long held a conspicuous position.

You can read this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/webc...er_foyers.html

The MacDonalds of Morar, styled "Mac Dhughail"
    An article from the Transactions of the Gaelic Society of Inverness.

This family long held a prominent position in Inverness-shire. It descended from Allan MacRuari, one of the most famous of the distinguished chiefs of Clan Ranald, who was executed for treasonable actions at Blair-Athole in 1509.

The first of the family was Dugald Macdonald, after whom the lairds had the patronymic, and were in Gaelic styled “Mac Dhughail”—when in conjunction with the territorial designation of Morar, “Mac vic Dhughail,” by and in itself.

You can read this article at http://www.electricscotland.com/webc...acdhughail.htm

Beth's Newfangled Family Tree
    As Beth is still working on her new software she is sending me in some snippets in word format. I've converted them to a pdf file and while not up to the usual presentation standards are very readable. Since the last newsletter we've added an issue for 11th Feb. You can get to these at the foot of the page at http://www.electricscotland.com/bnft/archives under "Best we can do".

And finally...

Look Before You .......

A parachute instructor was telling his trainees to prepare themselves or landing once they were about 90 metres from the ground.

"How do you know you are at 90 metres?" asked one woman.

"A good question," replied the instructor.

"At 90 metres you can recognise the faces of people on the ground."

The woman thought about this for a while before asking:

"What happens if there's no-one there you know?"

-----

Help!

Did you hear about the married couple who were playing on the ninth green when the chap's wife collapsed with a groan, pleading for help?

Hubby calls 999 on his mobile, talks to a few folk, then picks up his putter to take his shot.

His prostrate wife gasps: "I'm dying over here and you're putting?"

"Don't worry, dear," he replies, "they found a doctor on the second hole and he's coming to help you."

"How long will it take him to get here?" she asks feebly.

"Not long," says her husband. "Everybody's agreed to let him play through."

And that's it for now and hope you all have a great weekend.

Alastair
Working...
X