Progress at last

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress at last

I am delighted to say we've received some excellent news in that at long long last we've been advised that Front Page Server Extensions are now available for Windows Server 2008 IIs r7.5.

I know that all sounds very technical but what it means is that with this release we can at long last move our web sites to this platform which is bang up to date and on a 64 bit platform instead of the current 32 bit system we employ now.

My problem is that I still use the Microsoft Front Page product to publish to the site and through using these extension it allows me to maintain common top, left and bottom borders. The 2008 server wasn't able to handle these and so this prevented us from moving to this much more modern platform.

We will now be working with some urgency to get these installed and move our sites over to the new server. With that done we'll also be able to complete the move of having a mirror server deployed at Simon Fraser University.

There is also a lot of new functionality built into this newer platform that will allow us to do other things. I might add that this community runs on the 2008 server and so it was only the es.com and es.net sites that are still on the old server.

When we get to the point of moving our sites over there may be a little downtime but not much. To install various products we may need to reboot the servers for them to take affect. Currently on the 2008 server that we run this community on when we do a reboot it can take around 20 minutes for the site to come back up. This is because we load all the indexes for the database into a cache to make everything work faster but it takes time to reload these.

And so I am absolutely delighted to get this news and very much look forward to making this move to the new server. This has been a long time in coming.

Alastair
Working...
X