X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life Jottings of an old Edinburgh Citizen

By Sir J. H. A. MacDonald P.C., K.C.B., Lord Justice-Clerk

PREFACE

LET not the reader suppose, as he opens this book, that he is invited to wade through an autobiography. What he will find Is but a quilt made up of patches from the shelf of memory. No diary has ever been kept to supply copious extracts, such as too often give anything but light reading, and too often fail to present true pictures of the diarist s life. 1 he aim has been to fit together presentable patches, giving a blend of natural colouring, as a well-pieced quilt, though made up of shreds, may not offend and possibly may give pleasure, and here and there be informing. If particular patches seem wear'isome, skipping may give relief. The compiler of these jottings would have satisfaction, were it possible for any reader to say that he—and still more were she—had reached the word Finis without having to resist temptation to turn down pages unread.

One earnest request, dear reader. Do not pass by the pages which speak of the conservation of our lovely Edina, in what of beauty is left to her, notwithstanding the evil days of the past. The most eager thought for our "own romantic town" has been to rouse, if possible, the Jotter's fellow-citizens from a passive condition, and to stimulate in them an active interest of love to her of the matchless face—that "Face which is her Fortune." Surely the past honourable disfigurements, of which all who have taste are ashamed, should be a warning. Our civic rulers are no longer vandals. They show earnestness to conserve amenity, and are glad of help from the citizens in considering what is good and what is bad. It will strengthen them greatly if more lively interest ia shown by the public—that active and concentrated interest which has telling influence, but which in the past has, alas, been so sadly wanting.

Of the stories here told many are chestnuts, Experience has proved that what ;s stale to one is fresh to another. Let those of jaded palate be generous, and pass by and pardon the chestnuts in which others may find a toothsome—because to them a novel--flavour.

A meed of hearty thanks «s due to friends who have assisted to stimulate memory, and especially to a kind friend, Lord Dundas, who has given great aid by his perusal of the MS., leading to Friendly and profitable suggestions.

END

And so this is an interesting account giving us a look at Edinurgh in the old days and a look at its social life. You can get to this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ings/index.htm

Alastair

Re: Life Jottings of an old Edinburgh Citizen

I thought the story about "Sandy Baird" buying the books for his new library was funny.

Comment

Later we find that the Edinburgh weather was likely the cause of Prince Albert's death.

Actually lots of interesting wee snippets in this publication.

Alastair

Comment

Alastair

I will wait with patience for chapter 12, in which I see reference to the 'Clerks' of Penicuik, the family closely associated with Hutton.

I am sure that my brother might well have known about this publication.

Ranald

Comment

Working...
        X