The Isle of Skye in 1882-1883

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Isle of Skye in 1882-1883

Illustrated by a full report of the trials or the Braes and Glendale Crofters at Inverness and Edinburgh and an Introductory chapter by Alexander MacKenzie, FSA Scot. (1883)

THE body of this book was in type before the Royal Commission to inquire into the grievances of the Highland Crofters began its labours, but its publication was delayed to enable me to glance at its proceedings in an Introductory Chapter. Some of the statements made in the book itself were described by certain interested individuals as exaggerations; others hesitated not to apply even stronger terms, without the slightest pretence to a personal knowledge of the facts. Keeping this in view, I resolved to await the result of the Inquiry of the Royal Commissioners in Skye before publishing this volume. The first portion of the work has appeared in my “History of the Highland Clearances,” now nearly out of print, but I felt that Skye deserved a volume specially dealing with itself, during a period in its history when the eyes of the whole of the British people, and indeed of the civilized world, were upon it The Social Unrest which has exhibited itself in the Island during the last two years, will prove the turning point in a long reign of oppression in the Highlands. To the Men of Skye will be due the honour of securing a complete change in the system of land tenure which has hitherto kept the Highlands under the foot of the oppressor; and this fact alone will give an interest to what might otherwise appear comparatively trifling incidents, but which, in the circumstances, I deemed worthy of record in the following pages.

Great account of a turbulent time in our history. You can view this book at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...ckenziendx.htm

Alastair
Working...
X