Mary Boykin Miller Chestnut's Diary of the American Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Boykin Miller Chestnut's Diary of the American Civil War

Mary Chestnut comes from a long line of the Old Scots who helped to found the colonies. Her diary is her daily account of the American Civil War. She talks about the 'old ways' brought over from Scotland. The Lord of the Manner and other excellent passages to help someone get an idea of life on a Southern Scottish plantation. This is not a 'Gone with the Wind' drama but real life accounts of the War, the people, the slaves and the Slave 'masters'. I have this book and have read it several times. It is compelling but did not know until now if I should recommend it to the ES Forum.

One of the most compelling personal narratives of the Civil War, Mary Chesnut's Diary was written between 1861 and 1865. As the daughter of a wealthy plantation owner and the wife of an aide to the Confederate President, Jefferson Davis, Chesnut was well acquainted with the Confederacy's prominent players and-from the very first shots in Charleston, South Carolina-diligently recorded her impressions of the conflict's most significant moments. One of the most frequently cited memoirs of the war, Mary Chesnut's Diary captures the urgency and nuance of the period in an epic rich with commentary on race, status, and power within a nation divided.
    You can get it through the ES Kindle book store!
    kellyd:redrose:

Re: Mary Boykin Miller Chestnut's Diary of the American Civil War

You can read an introduction about her at http://www.electricscotland.com/hist...es/chesnut.htm

Alastair

Comment

Re: Mary Boykin Miller Chestnut's Diary of the American Civil War

Just to let you all know...I did some research in regard to Mary's diary, etc. I found the book called Mary Boykin Chesnut's Civil War, basically edited by Vann Woodward. It's a huge book, almost 900 pages, & I got it quite cheaply. If you dropped it on your sandalled foot, you might get a giant bruise! Of course, I haven't started it yet! I'm reading Rebel Raider, a book about John Hunt Morgan, who raided during the Civil War, all over the South, & then across the Ohio River, & into Ohio & Indiana. He came within a few miles of where I live. He was quite a colorful character, his Morgan family had quite a few of these Confederates who served under their brother in his brigade. Lots of stories abound in regard to JHM. Joan

Comment

Working...
      X