Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treasure can still be found underground...Excerpt, article, from Antique Week paper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treasure can still be found underground...Excerpt, article, from Antique Week paper

This article was written by Robert Kyle: Main part of article was in regard to 1849 Gold Rush, recently finding giant nugget with Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR), at 12 ft down, & about guys who use metal detectors in Britain, etc....
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Excerpt (as connected with Scotland)
    While we're in the gold vein, David Booth, 35, a Scottish zoo keeper, found his treasure in the first hour of the first day he ever used his machine.
    "I knew I had to be careful so I dug quite a large circle around the spot with a garden spade," he told UK's Daily Mail newspaper in Nov. 2009. "I used a trowel when I got nearer. Six or 8in down I saw a glimpse of one of them, then uncovered the rest of the hoard. They were in a wee group."
    Size doesn't matter with hoards. Wee hoards are good. Booth's find consisted of four Iron Age neck ornaments, called torcs, dating between the 1st & 3rd centuries BC. They are made of gold and silver with a wee bit of copper. Discovered in the village of Stirling, they were surrendered to the country's Treasure Trove Unit which assessed the value at about $1,670,000. The find became the property of the National Museum of Scotland after 14 months of fund raising.
    Scotland does not pay the finder the full assessed value but rather a nice reward. Booth's was $740,000. All treasure, except Victorian and modern coins, must be given up. If unwanted by museums, they are returned to finders.

Thouth you all might be interested in this...Joan :shamrock:
Working...
X