Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ashokan Farewell (a favorite violin/fiddle piece)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ashokan Farewell (a favorite violin/fiddle piece)

Last edited by FriedaKateM; 23 March 2011, 21:36. Reason: to add a note!! This is a piece that fiddlers like to play at the fiddle contests, however it is getting too much play!!!

Re: Ashokan Farewell (a favorite violin/fiddle piece)

It's a powerful piece that has become a classic of our age. There is a popular misconception that the tune is a traditional arrangement from the time of the American Civil War, which is understandable because it's in the form of a Scottish lament. However it was actually composed by Jay Ungar in 1982 at his dance and fiddle camp near Woodstock, New York and was popularized when Ken Burns used it extensively in the powerful 1984 PBS Civil War series. I believe Jay Ungar played much of that score and he does speak a bit about the inspiration for it on the First Transatlantic Sessions DVD. Played well, it is a very compelling work.

Comment

Hi, Rick, I was aware that Jay Ungar did write this at one of his fiddle camps. I also knew that it was like background music for Ken Burns, The Civil War. I thought it would be a good example of violin/fiddle, plus the pictures of Lincoln, which I found moving. I have been going to fiddle contests for several years, & this one shows up a lot. However, usually the rules of the contest normally say either a hornpipe, reel, or waltz, for each fiddler to choose. And NOT Bonaparte's Retreat, or Orange Blossom Special! I just plain like violin music myself, plus bluegrass, and all fiddle music. I have a DVD called Transatlantic Sessions 3, with Jerry Douglas & Aly Bain, & I absolutely love it. Aly Bain is a wonderous fiddler, & Jerry is great as well, plus thee's a lot of other good artists on this. And it is filmed in Scotland, at a bed & breakfast, with excellent acoustics. Joan

Comment

I thought that there might be an interest, in a message I sent to Jay in 1999, which I found today on my computer !

I am still a regular to his web site.

I did have a very nice reply, when he told me that it was the building of the dam and water reservoir, submerging the houses that inspired the music. We did sent and receive a few messages after the following.

[copy starts]
        Congratulations on a magnificent composition of the above which, for the first time last month, my wife and I heard it on our radio program Classic-FM.

The recording played was by the Band of the Royal Marines, Plymonth. The Director was Captain J R Perkins who also played the violin.

At that time I used the word "haunting" as the description for the melody. Then, thanks to the internet, I not only able to obtain the CD but found the home pages for Jay and Molly and have subsequently looked at many of the links including your one with the midi file.

As a Scot, I do feel that your comments "a Scottish lament written by a Jewish guy from the Bronx." are very apt and I thank "the guy from the Bronx" with all my heart for the composition.

Near Falkirk (mid way between Edinburgh and Glasgow) where I live, we too have a few houses that were submerged by the building of a reservoir. It is a much smaller scale than at Ashokan but your composition has filled the gap in the feeling I always have when in the area.

I hope that the following comments will not be taken as other than being from the heart.

Last Saturday we had to have our dog of eight years put to sleep as she had turned aggressive to certain dogs. With all other dogs she was very friendly, as she was with humans and children.

She is sorely missed and our hearts are very heavy. However, I have found a form of solace by playing The Ashokan Farewell from the link on your pages.

Very sorry for being so long winded but you have given some much needed peace to the troubled heart of an old man.

Regards to you all

Ranald McIntyre

11/06/1999
        [Copy ends]

Web site For Jay and Molly - http://www.dancingontheair.com/

Ranald
        Last edited by Ranald; 30 March 2011, 16:54. Reason: added web site url

Comment

Working...
        X