Alzheimer's breakthrough could lead to treatment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alzheimer's breakthrough could lead to treatment

This is one of the major debilitating medical problems of the age, especially in the light of increasing longevity, like Cancer..it is worthy of extensive research and funding to find a cure or preventative measures.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Researchers at the University of Sydney claim a breakthrough in research into Alzheimer's disease will lead directly to a new treatment.

ABC News Australia...

Their study shows how two key proteins interact to trigger the brain degeneration known as Alzheimer's.

Professor Jurgen Gotz says it is ground-breaking.

"We show that a protein which forms insoluble clumps outside of the nerve cells in the brain interacts with another protein inside the nerve cells," he said.

Professor Gotz says his team then used that knowledge to interrupt the interaction in mice developing the disease.

"We are basically able to prevent, at an early stage, Alzheimer's disease," he said.

"So when we interfere early enough in the mouse model which would eventually develop Alzheimer's disease - because it has been genetically modified - then we can prevent Alzheimer's disease in this mouse model."

"We can completely rescue all Alzheimer's effects, the seizures, the reduced lifespan."

He says development of a treatment for humans might be just five years away.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...24/2963066.htm

Re: Alzheimer's breakthrough could lead to treatment

Observer, Thanks so much for this post, My Father-In - Law, passed away in November, due to age, but mainly due to Alzheimers, its a very sad slow death.
    the worst part is before they forget everything and anyone, and before the bodies organs shut down, so bewildering for the patient and the family.
    His family cared for him at home with the help of a twice weekly nurse.

Comment

Re: Alzheimer's breakthrough could lead to treatment

Originally posted by laney View Post
      Observer, Thanks so much for this post, My Father-In - Law, passed away in November, due to age, but mainly due to Alzheimers, its a very sad slow death.
      the worst part is before they forget everything and anyone, and before the bodies organs shut down, so bewildering for the patient and the family.
      His family cared for him at home with the help of a twice weekly nurse.
      Laney,
      I understand completely, my mum developed it (early stages) when she was about 83/84 years of age (being a Wee Scot she was always a very active person), the onset was fairly quick and she passed away in a nursing home just a few months short of 90 (Alzheimers & pneumonia )

Gordon

Comment

Working...
      X