Attended my Niece's Wedding, The Outer Banks, North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attended my Niece's Wedding, The Outer Banks, North Carolina

Not sure if anyone on here missed my presence, however, on the 5th of May, I flew to Baltimore, where my eldest son picked me up. Went to his house there in Maryland, staying overnight. We all piled into their VW Passat, for the looong trip to the Outer Banks. Got there after much driving about 4PM. Just enough time to change clothes, & attend the rehearsal dinner at a local spot. Lots of loud noise, many people greeting, some eating....saw the bride & groom, my brother Jim, my stepmother, stepbrothers, other niece & her little boy. Next day son & I & his wife went down the long strip to Cape Hatteras, to see the lighthouse, which had been moved off the coast, because of erosion. Same one I saw in the 70's, except slight difference in location. Took lots of pictures, then came back to attend the wedding, after a fast clean up in my room. We had to walk down the street, as there was no room for parking cars. The wedding was on the beach, which caused much consternation for those of us above 50, having to take off shoes, & sink & wade in the soft sand dune to the harder beach. Glad to be part of the "family" so as to sit on a real chair with barefeet. Marriage took place, but the tide coming in made a roar, so parts were unheard. Then eventually back over the dunes to the house, a 3 story giant with 8 bedrooms. More loud talking & celebration, a bit of conversation with my brother again, & stepbrothers & their wives, casual discussions. The wind coming off the Atlantic was cold, & I had no sweater, so it was chilly. Lots to talk about, then back to the hotel. Next day back to my son's in Md. Following day, the 3 of us went up to Washington DC, where we visited the Lincoln Memorial. took pictures, then over to the Korean War Veterans site, which was a heart wrenching moment for me, as my own father spent 18 mos. to 2 yrs. there when I was in the 5th & 6th grades. There's a granite wall there, somewhat like the Vietnam Wall, only with etched pictures of faces of our veterans on the wall. As I looked into their faces, it brought back all that old feeling I'd had, when my father was in Okinawa, & also Korea later on. Came home by flying to Indianapolis from Baltimore on May 10, and thankfully, the flight attendants, who were male, were joking around, & it was fun. Arrived at Indy, got my bag, actually found my vehicle, & after getting out of their circle freeway, I raced home at 70 mph, which is the speed limit. So glad to see the countryside, not so many cars & drivers, & beautiful trees, vacant roads, & finally to see my dear old buddies, the cat boys (they'd been "watched" by my neighbor!) Home is where the heart is.....for sure. Joan

Re: Attended my Niece's Wedding, The Outer Banks, North Carolina

Sure sounds like you had a hectic but happy time Joan. With all the travelling I've done in my life it is always nice to get home :-)

Alastair

Comment

Working...
    X