Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Election Finally Over

Hey all,
    Well it is done!! Obama is re-elected by a landslide. I think the whole world is glad he won. Now back to normal!

Re: US Election Finally Over

Huge amount of money spent on that election. I noted the BBC commented that the money spent on it would have run the BBC for a year.

Alastair

Comment

Alastair, I couldn't agree more. Just thinking how many people that money could help, not to mention how the money could also be applied to reducing the deficit. But what do I know??

Comment

Way to go America :cool: Maybe now you will get the universal health care that every other western country in the world enjoys. Maybe now the rich guys will understand that they have to share in the harsh times too, not just the average workers.

Elda

Comment

Originally posted by Glesgalass View Post
          Way to go America :cool: Maybe now you will get the universal health care that every other western country in the world enjoys. Maybe now the rich guys will understand that they have to share in the harsh times too, not just the average workers.

Elda
          As long as the Republicans have the majority in the "house" there will not be universal health-care. The Republicans think that Obama is left-wing...
          Think I'll send them Wee Alex...

Sandy

Comment

HI, all!!! According to what I've read online today on NY Times & The Washington Post, Boehner realizes that it's time to communicate & compromise. We'll see IF this does happen. I didn't realize till this election just how political I was, although I do tend to be a liberal. Thanks. Joan

Comment

What shocked me when I was over there for a month....mind you it was nearly 8 years ago, perhaps things have changed......was how cheap things like tobacco & alcohol were. I said to my son at the time, if they wacked the tax on these products like they have in all other western countries, they could more than pay for probably the best universal health care in the world.

I remember that (I still smoked at the time) a tin of tobacco (I think 100 grms) was $7 and a 2 litre bottle of Bacardi was about $15. Here, at todays prices, these products are around $130 for the tobacco and a 750ml Bacardi will cost over $30.

Elda

Comment

Working...
              X