Hats Off to Ree Drummond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hats Off to Ree Drummond

She tells us she’s a city gal from California this Ree Drummond, and I’m inclined to believe her. Never mind, everyone has her name on their lips.

“Did you see Ree Drummond’s cooking show?” This seems to be the favorite conversation starter these days.

As it is the common practice around these parts, everyone has some tidbit of criticism. Not me! I’m as proud of her as if she was my own kid. “What a gal!”
    I want to say. She’s not a bit afraid to tell the nation she is home schooling her kids while they are learning the secrets of the ranching world. The woman is doing what every ranching wife has done since early day Oklahoma but she is
    on television with her own cooking show. The daring young woman isn’t crying about being jobless. Not her. Certainly not while she is writing books, doing her blog and cooking for the hands.

On her first show she was made to “get down and dirty,” as her husband, Ladd,
    introduced her to wrangling a calf. Ree was initiated into the world of ranchers who make a woman’s entrance into their world of working the cattle such a torture
    and most simply back away. Again, not her. There she was with sandwiches and a special smoothie bottled up in fruit jars so they each had their own individual glass.

What makes me believe she is from the city? Her description of “gatherin’ the cattle.” Ree might have to find an old ranch hand to teach her some of the Oklahoma vernacular, slang or twang.

“Roundin’ up the steers for workin’ em, or bringin’ in the heifers to another pasture and “Drive ‘em in, Boys!” On and on it goes and I can just hear the
    Elizabethian drawl from some far off Kentuckian place. No, Ree, sorry. It jest ain’t fitten’ ‘til you get the vernacular, but that is my only criticism.. That’s okay,
    Ree, you’re doin’ good and go ahead and “git ‘er done.” We all give you our nod of approval and tip our hat and raise our Stetson hat to you.
Working...
X